Tenth Commandment

Thou shalt not covet
We read the Decalogue in church last Sunday, and then the Old Testament reading was Exodus 20:1-17, God giving Moses the Ten Commandments. It always ends with the commandment “Thou shalt not covet,” inevitably reminding me that I learned to covet in church. The Christmas pageant, FCS. All the years of my childhood I was a shepherd. A crummy shepherd. Wearing somebody’s worn out tan or brown bathrobe. Or an old blanket wrapped around and tied at the waist with a rope. And burlap cloth over the head.
Did anybody but me notice what the Three Kings were wearing? Get a load of this. Gold and silver crowns. Beads. Purple and red and blue and green costumes made special for the occasion. 
Even their lines were rich. “Gold I bring, to crown him ... ”  And carrying that fancy box: “Frankincense to offer have I.” "Myrrh is mine ... " Myrrh?
What did we get to say? Either keep your mouth shut or mutter anonymously with the crowd, “ ’s go to Bethlehem and see,” and slink over near the center where the cute girl in blue was sitting coyly by the cradle smirking at the doll. Not too close though, that’s the Three Kings’ place for when they make their Grand Entrance.

It was a caste system too, no taking turns or working your way up to be a Three King, those places were taken, Kings for Life. Or Joseph, are you kidding me? The rector’s son. 
At least there was moral comeuppance the Christmas someone said “Frankenstein.” 

Amen. Lord, have mercy.
TW