And with thy spirit.

And with thy spirit.

Each day of life is different, isn’t it, and each morning of it. Each day. Even with an hour nap after lunch, yesterday was so exhausting that I went to bed at 7:30, rationalizing it was actually 8:30 CDT; it will take mind and body a week or two to get past that, including changing the car clocks, always a process of reeducation, trial, error, and bad words. I could read the instruction manual that came with the car, but what self-respecting male reads those things. 

With three things on calendar, today promises to be even more tiring, and there’s no time for a nap. At any event, going to bed at 7:30 had me up at one o’clock to visit with Father Nature and then an hour lying in bed unable to return to sleep, so up-’n-attem at two o’clock. Doing what? Well, my task at hand is reassemble handouts for Episcopal-101 session 2 this coming Sunday morning, the important thing being to make the class more fun than informative, refer briefly to the handouts as having all things necessary to salvation, so as to have at least half the 60-minute hour for questions and discussion. However, I didn’t address that task. 

Instead, starting morning different, I googled a qyestion. (my right index finger has started hitting y when I mean it to hit u, requiring me to keep going back to correct, and I’m sufficiently tired of that that I’m going to just leave the alphabet y’s and plow on). 


As I say, I googled a question. From early years, especially at summer camp in mid-to-late 1940s into early 1950s, I’ve felt a strong sense of connection to the catholic side of my Anglicanism and a less but not severaly denying connection to the protestant or reformed side. Mindful that Henry VIII was catholic from birth to death, changing nothing but ejecting papal authority from England. Little things at Camp Weed with others, same beloved friends year after year. Songs, discussions, attitude formation, getting up the courage developing in our Low Church diocese to call the priests Father. Even our own rector, Mr. Byrne while at home but Father Tom summers at camp. We helped change the whole church that way in that Time. Evolving sense of the catholic side and the Roman heritage behind it. A sense that it’s late, getting dark, and I ought to be heading home. 

Like so, a generation and more ago, we had a priest in our Pennsylvania diocese who had been raised RC and only came here because he wanted to be both ordained and married; in his late aging he realized he had to return to Rome, and did so, laicized. Some years ago, it’s been a qyarter-century now, a priest here in our FlorAbama diocese of the CGC had the same urge, and went back to Rome. Catholic since early teens, though never Roman, I’ve long had a sense. Not a pulling, but an awareness of how to get right with G_d. I’m not going to do it, never happen, but up long before predawn stars begin to shine, I googled “returning to roman catholicism.” Turns out there are programs entitled just that. Not happen here though, not going back before 1532. I’d be just as happy just to see the 1928 BCPs back in the pews when I walk into church this evening. 

DThos+

But never, because notwithstanding ancient heritage, going to Rome carries a set of fixed beliefs, both doctrine and dogma, that integrity would require, over against the personal freedom of Anglicanism.