in the glare

 


Second mug: the fragrant, hot, black coffee goes in, swishes fresh, crisp, clear and clean around the mouth and on the tongue, and goes down in tiny sip by sip swallows. It's what morning is all about, nomesane? Winter here, 41°F says the weather icon on my phone, and clear. January: an adventure in chocolate and new coffee while eagerly we anticipate the next holiday, what will it be? MLK Day.

But retired for decades, everyday's a holiday with me. Hi diddly dee, an actor's life for me, from 1940, an earliest memory, I'd have been four years old turning five at the time, my mother taking me to the Ritz Theatre to see "Pinocchio" and I watch him as his conscience Jiminy Cricket chases helpless and horrified, yelling, "Hey, Pinoke!" as Pinocchio skips off down the street arm in arm with Honest John the Fox and his stooge Gideon the Cat, all singing,  

Come on to the theater!
Hi-diddle-dee-dee
An actor's life for me
A high silk hat and a silver cane
A watch of gold with a diamond chain
Hi-diddle-dee
An actor's life for me
It's great to be a celebrity
An actor's life for me
Hi-diddle-dee-dum
An actor's life is fun
An actor's life for me
Hi-diddle-dee-dee
An actor's life for me
A wax mustache and a beaver coat
A pony cart and a billy goat
Hi-diddle-dee-dum
An actor's life is fun
You wear your hair in a pompadour
You ride around in a coach and four
You stop and buy out a candy store
An actor's life for me
Hi-diddle-dee-dee
An actor's life for me
A high silk hat and a silver cane
A watch of gold with a diamond chain
Hi-diddle-dee-day
An actor's life is gay
It's great to be a celebrity
An actor's life for me

Memories ring, seems to me we had the 78rpm album, and listening to it over and over. Likely at home with our father while mama took me to the movie, Gina would have been two years old with a head full of thick, blonde curls, and Walt just turned one, already our personality kid. Memories ring painful, throat and chest swell, eyes darken and cloud over. Give me a moment for this to pass so I can see again.


Ship passing 7H at 1105 yesterday, caught in the blinding glare of the almost noonday sun on StAndrewsBay.

We are three.

T