lazy bones, sleeping in the sun


For me, an effective weight control device is coleslaw, which fools the stomach into thinking it's had a good meal: fools the stomach but not the tastebuds. Breakfast this morning was a magic mug of hot & black club coffee and a brisk half-hour pace on the walking machine, followed by a heart pills, a mug of tap water, and a cup of coleslaw dressed with RAO's tomato-based garlic pasta sauce instead of my usual mayonnaise.

Reminds me of something said to me in Australia nearly fifty years ago. A client asked me what I'd had for breakfast, and I told him that my motel restaurant offered a free buffet breakfast and I'd had coffee and lamb chops. I asked, "What do you have?" He said, "I always just have a dingo's breakfast." I asked, "A dingo's breakfast, what's that?" He said, "A pee and a good look round." 

As a measure against the CHF-caused edema in legs/ankles/feet, the doctor told me to eat less salt and limit my water intake. I'm following doctor's orders, though for long years using a NoSalt potassium substitute for sodium anyway (which also helps fight the FuroForty's drain of potassium). But limiting fluid intake on these August days with the heat index in triple-digits pretty much means seldom venturing out of doors - - 

- - which is not a problem for Lazy Bones, Sleeping in the Shade. A fair description of Mister Bubba, who, fully retired, doesn't have to get his living made.

Today's breakfast dessert is a square of 49% dark chocolate from Aldi's and more water. It used to be that with most anything sweet I'd have a glass of milk, but very seldom anymore, dairy does strange things. An exception to my no-dairy rule is when I have ice cream: our freezer keeps ice cream rock hard, and I like to pour milk over it, which makes delicious freezing cold crispy bites on the surface of the ice cream.

We stopped at Aldi's in Lynn Haven yesterday morning after our six monthly dental appointments. The new road construction at Beck Avenue & 23rd Street has blocked our access to Aldi's where Winn-Dixie used to be, so we don't do that anymore. Bill's Grocery Outlet is closer and more convenient anyway.

Enjoyed my rhubarb pie. Actually it was like apple pic made with Granny Smith tart green apples. In order to relish the tartness, I did not have milk or ice cream with it.

+++++++

Sunday's gospel below. Note that verses 10-20 are bracketed, which means they are optional. After discussing tasty things to eat, I see no reason to explore that rather common and disgusting trash talk, so my suggestion is don't bother reading it, and I'm not going to comment on it. In my day as rector I'd not even have printed it in the worship bulletin.

 

Matthew 15: (10-20), 21-28

[Jesus called the crowd to him and said to them, “Listen and understand: it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but it is what comes out of the mouth that defiles.” Then the disciples approached and said to him, “Do you know that the Pharisees took offense when they heard what you said?” He answered, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted. Let them alone; they are blind guides of the blind. And if one blind person guides another, both will fall into a pit.” But Peter said to him, “Explain this parable to us.” Then he said, “Are you also still without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth enters the stomach, and goes out into the sewer? But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this is what defiles. For out of the heart come evil intentions, murder, adultery, fornication, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile.”]

Jesus left that place and went away to the district of Tyre and Sidon. Just then a Canaanite woman from that region came out and started shouting, “Have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David; my daughter is tormented by a demon.” But he did not answer her at all. And his disciples came and urged him, saying, “Send her away, for she keeps shouting after us.” He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” But she came and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, help me.” He answered, “It is not fair to take the children’s food and throw it to the dogs.” She said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.” Then Jesus answered her, “Woman, great is your faith! Let it be done for you as you wish.” And her daughter was healed instantly.

++++++++

Jesus healing the Canaanite woman's ailing daughter with merely a Word from afar is a choice Bible story. A highlight is Jesus' shockingly rude retort to the woman when she asks for help, Jesus calling her a dog and then the woman's witty comeback that touches Jesus' heart and wins him over to relent or repent and grant her request. He doesn't have to touch or even be there, In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word WAS God, to stir in the theological summit of John's gospel. 

In the synoptic gospels, Jesus doesn't seek out opportunities to show a sign of who he is with a godly action as happens in Gospel John, in MkMtLk the synoptics, Jesus heals out of sheer lovingkindness any Time he encounters human need. 

And this is a really good story.

++++++++

Friday morning is moving along, it's already passing eight-thirty and the coleslaw has enough carbs to bring on a nap, which is another good reason for eating it, eh?

RSF&PTL

T90