Friday the Second


Friday the Second dawns with lightning in low clouds over the Gulf, too far south of us to hear any rumbles of thunder. Nice, another beautiful day. 

Maybe turn out to be stormy, but if you're alive, folks, Every Day is a Beautiful Day. That was a favorite end of life observation and saying of one of my life's heroes, and in fact, it's inscribed in his gravestone. Which, come to think of it, I've not stopped by lately to visit him. Not that he's there, he's nowhere any longer, but good memories come closer when I stop by. 

I'll wave to Norman Hair while I'm there. And maybe Bill Guy. Bill lived next door when we were growing up, and I used to be invited over for dinner now and then. It would be Bill, Mr Guy, Mrs Guy, Mrs Burgin (Bill's grandmother), and me. There were always fresh, piping hot biscuits, and there was always molasses on the dinner table (we are Southerners, mind, dinner was at noon and Mr and Mrs Guy would have come home from work for dinner). Mr Guy always enjoyed showing me how to eat a biscuit properly: "Bubba, you hold the biscuit up edgewise, like this. You poke a hole in it with your finger, fill the hole with molasses, and take a bite." OMG. Save your Confederate money, boys, the South's gonna rise again.


Made my hot & black a bit stronger than usual this morning, and the magic mug keeps it drinkably hot for at least an hour, which is perfect. Now and then two, but normally a one coffee a day person, I try to make the club coffee shipment last a month before the next package arrives. it's okay, the next one is on the way, so I used extra grounds for this mug. Morning coffee is an exciting part of Life is Good. If I'd not given the Time-Turner to Kristen, I'd turn the morning back half an hour and enjoy sipping it again

Friday the Second promises to be another exciting day here in 7H, as the new television for the bedroom is on calendar to be delivered and installed. It'll sit on the chest of drawers, which, after a bite of breakfast, we'll move the chest out from the wall, dust behind it so as not to be humiliated when the installer comes, I'll disconnect the transmitter for my hearing aids, and we'll move the Alen air filter over to behind Linda's lounge chair. At 55 inches, the new tv is larger than the one we brought here from The Old Place, but not that much larger: it's a modest size for these days, and I'd be good with a biggie, but Linda does not like monster televisions. 

Actually, the television shopping has been as much fun as shopping for a new car, a favorite exercise for that part of my life from age 22 to 91 used to be for me. I still car shop, but it's all online and in my head.

If the car shopping were more reality than computer screen and imagination, what would I be shopping for? At this age I can't stand the step-down design that's ubiquitous today (actually introduced by Hudson with their new 1948 Hudson cars, I was there, I marveled at the new Hudsons as revolutionary at the Time); 


and I'm afraid to ride in the back seat of any car that's measurements are so tight I have difficulty getting in and especially getting out, which means I couldn't get out if there were a crash, an accident. And that seems to be every damn car on the market except the minivans. And I would not waste money on a new car, so I'd be combing inventories for a minivan with a flat floor and easy in and out for my feet in the back seat. 


Our first of many minivans over the years was a new 1984 Plymouth Voyager, light blue. I bought it for Linda the summer of 1984 as a part of a bribe to persuade her to move from Harrisburg to Apalachicola with Tass and me. The rest of the bribe was the promise of a beach house - - which we did buy, and which is a different story for another Time.

But, Bubba? You've said many Times that your first car was a Buick and that you want your last car to be a Buick, what happened to that dream? IDK.

IDK, see; I'm a lifelong Episcopalian, see, and we are not bothered by contradictions and inconsistencies in bible, faith, religion, love, friendship, values, and all the rest of life. For me, that includes car shopping. If I could find my perfect car it might be another one like this:


which, I had one for several years and am sorry I gave it away.

+++++

Let's see if I'm interested enough in next Sunday's lectionary readings to make my usual caustic appraisal.

Nah, maybe I'll go there tomorrow, it's breakfast Time: 


A loaded pill-fish and two slices of crisp, hot chicken bacon in very thin whole wheat bread foldover. 

RSF&PTL

T91