Some like it

What a miserable winter I could say, and I do say, although Michigan loved ones who visited yesterday say it's -28 at home this morning. It’s still miserable here anyway, and with light wind coming off the Gulf, bitter. I would say raw, but raw involves damp cold, and at least it isn’t drizzling. What’s going on? This is the longest winter here in my memory, what’s going on? Is this the other side of a climate change coin? 

Don’t say global warming.

Some like it hot, some like it cold, some like it skiing in Colorado. I like it looking across Shell Island into the Gulf of Mexico. 

Our diocesan convention is underway in Mobile, Alabama. Tomorrow they elect our next bishop from among four candidates, three winners and one loser. Election takes a simple majority in both “orders,” lay and clergy. Then the election goes churchwide to be ratified.
 Being a bishop brings to mind Mark Twain’s comment about being tarred and feathered and ridden out of town on a rail: if it weren’t for the honor of the thing, I’d rather walk.

Honor goes a long way when you get a pointy hat, a purple shirt, a stick, and free lunch every Sunday.


W