Skip to main content

Trying to understand


During my Fall 1962 semester of MBA studies at the University of Michigan, I took a course in international business and economics, and I recall the professor's first recommendation to the class, that we immediately and permanently subscribe to what he called The London Economist and described as the world's most competent publication on economics, business, politics, and related social issues. The masthead of The Economist reading "a severe contest between intelligence, which presses forward, and an unworthy, timid ignorance obstructing our progress". 

The professor's recommendation was wise, although in that period of my lifetime from mid-twenties to mid-eighties, I have found ignorance, especially on the political scene, seldom timid, seldom timid indeed; in fact, almost always arrogantly outspoken. An observation that has been in my mind as I try to understand whether the insanity consuming the nation is being advanced as a political ruse, which I pray; or is truly believed, a prospect that is most extremely frightening and threatening. In that regard, reading The Economist, which these days I receive online, helps me with yesterday's weekly column by the editor; helps me see, perceive, realize, understand; but far from putting my mind at ease, leaves me in great alarm. His article, scroll down.

T