to San Diego and back

 


Up just before three o'clock, monster mug of hot & black, and on my way across country by Porsche Cayman. The car is a bit tight for me to squeeze down into, and with my CHF it's wheeze-inducing to climb up out of; besides, at this age anything can happen either to me or to the car, 

so these roadtrips are best driven and most enjoyable sitting here in my bayside chair in cabin 7H while SS Harbour Village is moored pierside here at downtown St Andrews, Florida. This is my best cruise yet, St Andrews my favorite port of call, and this morning driving my best long distance roadtrip in a dream car.

I've done these long roadtrips for years, both timed rallies and sheer speed racing, but also family trips, trips alone, and even new car road testing starting with Walt Woron in that brand new Chrysler New Yorker flat-head straight eight sedan back in 1950. Matter of fact, I still have that copy of Motor Trend stashed away in my car trunk in a front room here in 7H.

If in his old age, late friend and priest Sid Ellis could make trans-Atlantic crossings in his nursing home chair, I can damn well drive this five-speed stick shift Porsche across country and back, and I did. 

Plus, I'm not buying anything, but on arriving home in the Cayman and parking it in the garage downstairs, a silver 2007 model bought used in 2019, I took a tour of the pre-owned Porsche lot over in Destin. The cars are all well maintained, mostly one-owner with frequent oil changes, and there are several affordable candidates even for a retired priest. 

No? No. Dream on.

RSF&PTL anyway

T88&c