ItDontGitNoBetterThanThis



Wednesday Next Before Advent 4 Brightens into Christmas Eve, 68°F, 98% outside here on 7H porch, view over Shell Island into the Gulf of Mexico. Quiet, absolute silence on the Bay, not a creature stirring, not even a boat, why so still? Breakfast, black coffee over ice, and steak tartare, ever so lightly braised for decency, two slices extra thin ww toast. Sea salt. touch of mayonnaise, Hellmann’s.

201712200722CST and here comes one of the Navy’s two gray shadows, on the way out for another day’s Victory at Sea. They’ll glide back by just in time to be first at Happy Hour. Do I miss it? Well, yes. Would I trade? Wait till you are 82 and someone asks you, or you ask yourself, “Would I trade places with a 22-year-old sailor?” 

What’s the scripture for the Daily Office this morning? IDK, unlike my peers who went to an Episcopal seminary, I went to a Lutheran seminary and never heard one admonition about “doing the Daily Office.” Long retired, I’m content out here on my porch in a cool, light breeze as winter begins on the Florida Gulf Coast, taking in nature’s wonders and watching my past set out to sea. IDGNBTT.

The fog has lifted, is gone for the moment, but at 98% humidity it’s still, what, palpable.

And now the day shifts to normal as three yellow test boats from Mercury zip by heading toward their base in Millville, Bay's east end.


DThos+