Another Monday Meander

 


So far so good with our partially repaired HVAC system cooling and keeping us comfortable. Yet, I'm borderline ashamed to even speak of this sort of luxury, extreme comfort, complaint, in a world where most people around the globe don't have enough to eat, or clean water to drink or for bathing, or safe surroundings and shelter, a place to sleep tonight. A friend I admire, a fellow Episcopal clergyman, when he's offering thanks before a community meal, always challenges us to remember, as we feast, those who have nothing to eat today, and no place to sleep tonight. Kyrie Eleison, Lord have mercy; and yet Kyrie only has mercy through us, God has no hands but our hands ... . What are we as Christians? Our covenant with God is to be Jesus in the world; and if we are not Jesus, then Jesus is Not.

But today is Monday, no sermon. Homily, no preaching s’il te plait, Papa.

In my experience in the Episcopal Church, we don't much preach on political hot topics. Not because they are unimportant, indeed, political issues are about people, and so is the Gospel. Not because we don't "mix religion and politics", in some instances we disgrace the Cross by not speaking out. Many political issues are vital and have Gospel implications, but my own reason for not going there often is that political issues carry personal certainties, and I'm mindful of avoiding certainties, and I don't want other people laying their political certainties on me; so I try not to do it to others when I have them somewhat "captive audience". 

And I'm mindful that while in many so-called evangelical churches, being of the corporate social and political mind is status confessionis, that is not meant to be so in the Episcopal Church: we welcome (or tell ourselves that we welcome) diversity. Besides, I am always in the minority, and I try to bear in mind that I may be wrong and you may be right even though I know that's not so.

 


This was my Sunday evening supper: spicy elk sausage with a heavy streak of mustard - - I enjoy sampling different kinds of mustard, currently my favorite is Löwensenf, a German mustard that my Kristen introduced me to while she was studying German language at Emory - - that I bought at TAFB Commissary, Plochman's; not bad, it seems to have more vinegar than our usual French's yellow mustard. So, covered with shredded sauerkraut, then a glump of mayonnaise, and catsup squirted all around. Not my standard supper, which is more likely to be yogurt, maybe with thick, sweet Modena balsamic vinegar dribbled over, or with raisins mixed in; a supper that pleases my elderly stomach. The sausage and sauerkraut supper pleased my palate, and I've found a suitable substitute for the banned Zantac that saw me through so many years of stomach challenges. 


The light over the dining table is bright, selected for purchase because I often work here, but I always wear a hat because on brightest, the light is blinding. Any number of caps hang on the hooks behind the door in my study/office/den, this happens to be a favored one at the moment, Navy; and the scrambled eggs? for USN captains and commanders, and I'm entitled. 

Finally maybe. There's always a final, something last. Yesterday I was reading about changes in the society, factors that bring shifts in civilization itself. One is the religious Certainty that is the foundation for division, enmity, hatred, wars: at Judgment Day, religion itself will have much explaining to do. Another is politics, Certainty again, on highly divisive issues, especially social issues reduced to political identification. 

Another it mentioned is social media, where people like to rage and rant hatefully and social media provide anonymity - - anyone who wants to see the pathetic mentality of most Americans only needs to scroll down into the Comments section of anything. And what the article said was that social media isn't the problem; the problem is that people need to learn to shut up. But we love to hear ourselves talk (have you ever been to a gathering of the local ministerial association?), and we love to write mean things, and we especially love to do it under cover of darkness, to travel incognito. 

No, here is Final. The top photo: my office/study/den is one of only a few rooms here in Harbour Village with a window looking out directly onto the clocktower. 

PTL


T

yes, I know it's Tuesday; I meant to finish and post this yesterday but got distracted; GOK by what