it's Time

 


Standing at 7H porch railing at 2:57 to flashes of lightning beyond the Pass and out over the Gulf of Mexico.

Inside, my coffee is brewing, and I'm tempted to bring it out here and enjoy the gathering weather this Friday morning to live for, but the logistics are awkward and present the risk of a fall, so I settle into my sty, now in my decrepit chair at the Bay side window. Perfect hot & black; but, white almond, the bite of chocolate surprises and slightly disappoints me. Still, alrighty then, no worries, I can lay the rest of this bit aside because, at one bite a day, I've got a stash of chocolate here in 7H that will take me into the next life.

Not going there this morning, maybe another blogpost about it soon after I settle into the wilderness retreat of my permanent retirement, which starts this coming Monday morning. Honestly, it never occurred to me that the Time would come when it would be clear to me that The Time Has Come. IDK, I guess I expected to be 75 forever.

When I was seventy-five it was a very good year ...

+++++++++

Last week I sat here and cleared nearly 15,000 unread emails down to zero, which I do from Time to Time. Already it's back up to 3,413 unread emails. One that I not always but usually open and scan is ENS, the Episcopal News Service. If there's something momentous or interesting I may copy and paste it here, maybe with a comment. 

Flash of lightning outside and to my west over Thomas Drive, PCB. Now it's thunder. That weather map is closing in.

Anyway, the ENS article below disappointed but didn't surprise me. I've read and appreciate the Roman Catholic Church's stand on who is welcome to Holy Communion, I do understand it. But this is the Episcopal Church, and over the years I've read some of the skybalon (it's Paul's NT Greek word, look it up) claptrap from the pens of laypeople, bishops and priests defending our canon that says, "No unbaptized person shall be eligible to receive Holy Communion in this church." I've also read and understand the theologians and their positions, and I don't say the bishops and theologians can go to hell, I just disagree with them and say it's Time, and nothing matters but WWJD. In a world where you can be anything, be kind, because nothing else matters.

If this were perceived as a politically correct issue they'd be jumping all over themselves to make everyone welcome, but they're hunkering down in their bunker of concrete certainty. Retired for good as from this coming Monday, I could say mox nix mir, but I've watched the political process in the Episcopal Church all my life, and I know that the agents for change keep returning and voting and returning and voting until they have their change. This is a church where the old men have been slowly losing their grip for as long as I've been watching. This change too will come, in its own Time. Amen, Maranatha, come, Lord.

RSF&PTL

T88&c 


+++++++++++++++

Bishops, deputies differ on outcome of proposed resolution requiring baptism before receiving Communion

BY MELODIE WOERMAN
Posted 3 hours ago

During their May 15 meeting, bishops and deputies on the Prayer Book, Liturgy & Music committees deliberate on how they want to proceed on a proposed resolution regarding the canonical requirement of baptism before receiving Communion. Photo: Zoom screenshot

[Episcopal News Service] In a May 15 meeting, bishops and deputies on the Prayer Book, Liturgy & Music committees split in their actions taken on a proposed resolution about the canonical requirement that a person be baptized before receiving Holy Communion. Deputies wanted to recommend adopting the resolution with amendments, while the bishops wanted to take no action on it.

Resolution D002 calls on the Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music to review several aspects of Canon I.17.7, including whether the requirement for baptism before receiving Communion even belongs in the church Canons. The committees heard testimony on this resolution during its April 10 meeting.

Deputies’ committee member the Rev. Ruth Meyers, chair of the Prayer Book subcommittee, offered proposed amendments that would have asked the Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music to explore the practical implications of the Canon and to develop general pastoral invitations to baptism and Communion as possible additions to the Book of Common Prayer. The resolution retained the call for the standing commission to explore the question of whether the requirement of baptism before Communion belongs in the Canons or elsewhere.

On Meyers’ motion to recommend that the resolution be adopted with amendment, deputies voted in favor, 15-4, while the three bishops who were present voted no. A total of five bishops serve on the committee, and three bishops meet the required vote quorum. Legislative committees include parallel committees of deputies and of bishops, which, though distinct, typically meet and deliberate together but vote separately.

Meyers noted that because all resolutions from this committee first will be considered by the House of Bishops – every committee has a designated house of initial action for its resolutions – bishops would need to make a different motion to go before the House of Bishops. Fond du Lac Bishop Matthew Gunter moved that the committee recommend take no action on the resolution – a recommendation that would all but end the resolution when it reaches the floor. All three bishops voted in favor, while deputies voted against, with 5 yes and 14 no.

The three bishops also voted against the Prayer Book subcommittee’s recommendation to adopt with amendments Resolution A077 regarding inclusive and metaphorical language. They then voted to recommend take no further action on the resolution.


+++++++++

PS, just a postscript. I need to ask that folks not send me messages on Facebook messaging, because I've got it turned off and I never open it. The reason is that several years ago I opened a message from a supposed close friend (it was a scam with spam) only to have it send the spam scam to everyone on my FB friends list. So even though I love you and recognize your name, I don't open FB messaging. You are welcome and invited to email me or text me.