greens &c
Supper last evening, a cup of mustard greens, my first Time, never had mustard greens before and found it delicious. Margaret Holmes brand Seasoned Mustard Greens, part of my control program before being weighed in to my annual checkup with my primary care physician Tuesday week, August 4. At this point, I'm on track. See, the point is that I insist on going for this appointment only every August instead of every six months, and if I show up with an issue, the doctor may want me to start coming every six months or worse.
In the past I've run this control with coleslaw and green salads. This year, partly because there's a national lettuce scare, I'm trying canned greens, the Glory brand and the Margaret Holmes brand of southern style greens - - turnip greens, collard greens, turnip greens with roots, Popeye's brand canned spinach (chopped). There's a can of LeSeur peas on the shelf too, in case I want to add a bit of starch.
In all cases, upon opening every can, my first act is to drink the liquid, for me, a real appetizer that I've enjoyed for years. I do that also with sauerkraut, drink the brine from the jar or package. Try it Sam I Am, you may like it, Sam I Am.
Salt, I add no salt, but instead use a pure potassium product called NoSalt. Both for flavor seasoning like salt, and because it helps restore the potassium that my prescription furosemide drains from my system as it, the daily FuroForty, counters the CHF-caused edema in my feet ankles legs, eh?
For protein during this Time, there's salmon, lightly roasted in the oven, the chicken cutlets from Culver's crispy chicken sandwiches (don't eat the bread), an occasional cheeseburger sans bun, but especially the pickled herring that finally arrived from Russ and Daughters deli in NYC. Breakfast this morning before driving off to let the dermatologist cut off the top of my head, for example, four herring bits and the magic mug of hot & black from my Coffee Club.
Herring, this purchase, I ordered four kinds: with mustard & dill, in curry sauce, plain with extra strong brine, and German style herring filets wrapped over onion.
No alcohol intake during this Event, so yesterday after church, for snack before Sunday dinner, five bits of curried herring and a large mug of iced Japanese roasted barley tea.
++++++++++
This morning to the dermatology clinic at eight o'clock, arriving home at three o'clock with major work to the top of my head, virtually a monastic tonsure and impressive criss-cross suturing - - to a nice afternoon meal of mustard greens and a large chunk of roasted salmon, mashed and ranch dressing mixed into it with a fork, five triscuits, and the iced barley tea.
+++++++
It's just that I'm trying to do what I should do, responsible self-care.
A late afternoon nap would be a kindness, eh?
RSF&PTL
T90