Psalm 13

Psalm 13 Usquequo, Domine?
1 How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?
2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?
3 Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;
4 Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him; and those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved.
5 But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.
6 I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me. (KJV)
Psalm 13 is one appointed for tomorrow, Proper 8, Sunday closest to June 29.
A psalm of David, it’s a powerful lament in an interesting but not unusual style for Hebrew poetry. David lamenting, perhaps, that King Saul hates him and is trying to kill him. In the end The Lord delivers David from danger and David gives thanks. Or perhaps David gives thanks knowing in faith that The Lord will deliver him.
In the Genesis reading for tomorrow, Abraham takes Isaac up the mountain to kill him and offer him to God as a burnt offering. At the end, God speaks and saves, and Abraham named the place Adonai-Jireh, The Lord provides.
From time to time over the past year and more, Joe has emailed me about his friend Ross whose son Eric, 16, was fighting leukemia. In his CaringBridge posting on Friday, Ross wrote 
Mary and I prayed next to Eric, knowing that our young warrior was facing the last battle in this 18 month challenge. Eric began to pray and recite Jeremiah 29.11 which says "For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". After some very extensive praying he turned to Mary and said "It is time for me to go" and it was at that moment that we knew that it was time for us to release our child to God for ever. ,,, On June 23, 2011 at around 7am, with his Mother and Father by his side, Eric was called home to be with God in Heaven for eternity. As sad as it was to witness, there was a calm peace about him leaving. No more suffering, no more pain, no more treatments. No more needles. No more tubes. An end to transfusions, and fluids fed to him through his veins. ... He was a true blessing from God.
Psalm 13 ends nightmare with peace. Not only for David and for Abraham. For Eric, a faithful young warrior. For everyone who prays to The Lord for deliverance. Perhaps for someone who reads it today and claims the promise.
Sabbath: Shalom.
Tom+