David the King


In the Daily Office Lectionary, the first lesson for today is from 2 Samuel 16. King David is on the run from the forces of his son Absalom, who is seeking to overthrow David and assume the throne. A friend brings out provisions for David and his company, but as they pass through Bahurim a man meets them and curses David, throws stones at them all the way through the town and continues as they pass on beyond. When one of the men with David wants to kill the offender, David forbids it, saying that the man is only doing as the Lord has told him. David’s faith and humility before both God and man shines in the scene.
Meanwhile, Absalom triumphantly enters Jerusalem, is welcomed and acclaimed by his father’s friends. Then follows the scene in which Absalom takes his father’s concubines up on the roof, pitches a tent, and “goes in to them” in the sight of all Israel, thus humiliating David and asserting his claim to the throne.
Psalm 108 follows the 2 Samuel story as David’s response, faithful prayer, and confident song.


108  Paratum cor meum


1
My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed; *
    I will sing and make melody.


2
Wake up, my spirit;
awake, lute and harp; *
    I myself will waken the dawn.


3
I will confess you among the peoples, O LORD; *
    I will sing praises to you among the nations.

4
For your loving-kindness is greater than the heavens, *
    and your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.


5
Exalt yourself above the heavens, O God, *
    and your glory over all the earth.


6
So that those who are dear to you may be delivered, *
    save with your right hand and answer me.




7
God spoke from his holy place and said, *
   "I will exult and parcel out Shechem;
    I will divide the valley of Succoth.


8
Gilead is mine and Manasseh is mine; *
    Ephraim is my helmet and Judah my scepter.


9
Moab is my washbasin,
on Edom I throw down my sandal to claim it, *
    and over Philistia will I shout in triumph."


10
Who will lead me into the strong city? *
    who will bring me into Edom?


11
Have you not cast us off, O God? *
    you no longer go out, O God, with our armies.


12
Grant us your help against the enemy, *
    for vain is the help of man.


13
With God we will do valiant deeds, *
    and he shall tread our enemies under foot.
Not to spoil the plot for those who haven’t read the book, but those of us who have read it know Absalom’s fate. And especially do we know David’s grief at the death of his beloved son. We are drawn totally inside the story fully to experience David’s sorrow with him as he weeps. “O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom. Would that I had died instead of you, O Absalom, my son, my son.”   
For all his human traits, faults, David was a good and loving man. It is no wonder that he is still so loved three thousand years later.

Sabbath: shalom.
Right shoe first and praise the Lord.
TW+