Enjoy


Proper 28     The Sunday closest to November 16
Blessed Lord, who hast caused all holy Scriptures to be written for our learning: Grant that we may in such wise hear them, read, mark, learn, enjoy, and inwardly digest them, that, by patience and comfort of thy holy Word, we may embrace and ever hold fast the blessed hope of everlasting life, which thou hast given us in our Savior Jesus Christ; who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Hatchett (Commentary on the American Prayer Book, p.195) says this collect was prepared for the 1549 Book of Common Prayer because of renewed interest in the Bible that came with the Reformation. A favorite of many people, it is commonly used as the convening prayer for Bible study sessions. My habit in informal settings is to add the word enjoy as one of the things we pray to experience from Holy Scripture.

The prayer is in fact answered in my own life. One of my favorite activities has long been group Bible study like we had in seminar classes at theological seminary. For the convenience of me and my family, my bishop arranged for me to go to nearby Lutheran Theological Seminary, Gettysburg, just a forty-five minute daily commute from our home in Harrisburg; but he also required that I take several courses at the Episcopal seminary in Alexandria, Virginia, a hundred or so miles south, including a Bible seminar with the Rev. Dr. Reginald Fuller, a world-renowned Bible scholar who was professor of New Testament at VTS. There were five of us students in the seminar and it was not only the course I enjoyed most but one where I discovered how much fun Bible study could be.

Fun, enjoy, is the experience I strive for folks to have in all my Bible study events, including the three courses I currently have each week -- Adult Sunday School, Tuesday morning Bible seminar at Holy Nativity, and Wednesday afternoon Bible seminar at St. Thomas by the Sea. 

Tom+ in +Time