Tide & Tarpon


Never’ve seen a better football game than that. Not sure there has ever been a better game. Especially seeing that I definitely did not have a Dawg in the fight. No Alabama fan, “Roll Tide” never blasphemed my lips until last night, but Georgia (not FSU) is Florida’s foe of the ages, back from when FSU was Florida State College for Women (first FSU/UF game was 1958, after my time). Never thought at the start of the 2012 season that Georgia could seriously challenge the Red Elephant but the Dawgs proved a worthy match last night and deenear pulled it off. Disallowed intercepted pass with 30 seconds to go, then a caught pass and clock running with 5 seconds to go, small wonder Saban was about to have a heart attack. TG it wasn't Gators v. Elephant, it would have been heart attack time at 2308.

At half time Linda and I strolled down to the park to see the lights. Lots of folks there enjoying the historic St. Andrews display. I remember the railway spur to St. Andrews and the train station there, empty space now, a parking lot. Railway spur onto my grandfather’s pier out to Bay Fisheries. 


Tarpon sank 1937, I was too young to remember, but my father was born in Pensacola, June 11, 1911 and his mother brought him home to St. Andrews on the Tarpon a few days later to the house that was then where this 1912 house is today. Entry to The Cove is still and always Tarpon Dock Bridge.

Saint Nicholas at HNEC this morning. 

BCS championship: never Roll Tide but always Go SEC. Although if last night's outcome had been other, it could have been Go Irish. Nobody cheers "We're number four." 

Will and Bill: my coach of the year nominees. Will M for bringing the Gators from 22 or 23 up to top rankings. Bill O'B for a successful Lions season against all odds.

TW+