Ignatian ReIgnition

Toothbrush, Testament, RSF & PTL

Partly Sunny . Sitting outside in a tiny screen house looking east through catawba trees across a field into the glaring morning sun mostly shielded by thick rainclouds, it all comes back. That low, near, dark cloud is moving rapidly north and my book is not Genesis but Judges; creation, sin, judgment, repentance, redemption, a cyclic busy beaver who starts off relaxed and peaceable then over four to six years adds and adds and accumulates until everything must be shriven for a re-ignite. Story of my life, including three or four documented cycles those fourteen years at Trinity, Apalachicola. Why am I here when I could have remembered this looking out across St. Andrews Bay from my upstairs front porch.         

Somewhere east of Macon, this is Scott, Georgia, on US80 between Dublin and Adrian. We expected insufferably muggy summer heat, but the weather has been rainy, varied overcast to severe thunderstorms, and the temperature perfect, kept comfortably cool by ongoing, off and on rain, both storms and showers, and we could not be more pleased. Still and again this morning. No-see-ums the only distraction; if only my hair was still thick and black, they wouldn't be crawling my scalp.

Blueberry bushes for such as me to pick a large bowlful for breakfast and snacks. Trails mowed through prolific blackberry brambles, meander, pick and munch. 

Angelus rings at Noon. Late afternoon Mass softeningly termed Eucharist of a unique orthanglokatholische liturgical stir and intriguing theological bent that is compatible not only for whoever comes to worship but also with supper that follows, a delicious conglomerate of chickpeas, carrots, collards, onion, tiny bits of chicken and thick peppery brown broth. Then, a bit too late, Night Prayer, a Marian Compline.

Linda is enjoying quiet and peace, catching up on reading; but this is serious working time for me, the second in my Summer of Silent Directed Retreats. My assigned spiritual exercises are challenging and stretching, helpful for one who has made himself overly busy in life and needs a rethink and regroup.

The Tuesday to Wednesday exercise charge me to physically, mentally and spiritually shed everything that is not essential to my next life stage. So if as in the physical domain I might take only a toothbrush and a change of clothes into assisted living, what might I bring into my spiritual being? Lighten up, I am told without and within, lighten up. No extra luggage, there's no baggage compartment on the train and no closet in my new room. Yard sale and move on.

Extra pair of socks and a Bible.

Ignatian re-ignition.

Right Shoe First and Praise The Lord. 

TW+