for traveling mercies


Thanksgiving for Traveling Mercies

On this day my mother used to tell me that she and my father were thankful, as they neared sixty years of marriage, that they had never lost a child or grandchild. That is a thankfulness and appreciation of which I am unendingly conscious as husband, father, grandfather, cousin, uncle, friend -- son, grandson, nephew -- , loved one and one who loves and has loved; perhaps especially in this vocation of sharing life and its experiences with many people and families. 


My own continuing prayer is for what some call traveling mercies, for where I am and have been and may yet be, for loved ones where they are on the road, the roads, wherever they are and whatever they are doing, driving, riding, sleeping, studying, in class, at work or school or the office and on the way there and back, taking a test, tending a child, being a child, cooking, shopping, eating, being a blessing, protecting, loving and being loved and cherished. 

What do I hope God will do for His part of the traveling mercies? Well, whatever, seriously, whatever, whatever God can and will do to help life along positively, including simply casting love down. My part is gratitude, being thankful for it all. Some time today, maybe this morning while the aroma of pumpkin pie and roasting turkey fills the house -- a private and personal twenty minutes because it’s a short little drive there and stop for a moment of being there -- I’ll visit and say hello to two friends who were especially special to me, who left way before I was ready for them to go or to leave them, and be thankful for the caring lives that they lived and for how they blessed the lives of many in their own journey, blessed my life too. 

And I’ll come home and be thankful for life as it is here in my house today. All my girls are here. A couple of the boys, but all my girls

A cherished prayer is the blessing our pastor lays on us at the close of each worship, that helps keep me mindful of why I am here in the first place. Life is short, and we haven’t much time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us. So be quick to love, and make haste to be kind. And the blessing ..

TW+