Time in a Bottle


It must have been at the Seattle World’s Fair. NYT reports this morning that a Time capsule was buried, sealed, at the Space Needle in 1982 and was supposed to be opened in 2002 but everyone forgot about it. I didn’t open the NYT report because in my cheapness I get to open ten articles free a month, and that isn’t going to be one of them, I’m saving up my ten, watching and waiting for the Apocalypse. 

But the Time capsule triggered massive imagination and memories, Timeo in a Bottle. In 1982 I was Navy retired for four years, a middler (second year) at Lutheran Theological Seminary Gettysburg and a year from ordination, traveling 80 percent of my Time including to Australia and defense plants all over the US, living in HarrisburgPA, WashingtonDC, and United Airlines Clubs at airports across the country, driving 35 thousand miles a year, 


teaching graduate courses in defense acquisition management for the Political Science Division at the University of West Florida, having breakfasts of eggs and scrapple at the Sheraton downtown Philadelphia while watching early morning traffic, a friend client and frequent caller at the Defence Attache Australian Embassy WashDC, pursuing the life and destiny of a 46 year old white American male who only now and then wondered where I would be at 65 or 70 (WTH, tell the truth, it never occurred that I could be that old, God forbid). And that’s not the half of it. Would I go back? Maybe an hour for breakfast.

What about now? Inquirers’ Seminar this morning which, seeing we like to say our theology is based on Scripture, Tradition and Reason with Scripture prime, first and foremost, they’re going to get a taste of Scripture.


DThos+