Buechner et al



Nobody need tell me, I know I'm odd, peculiar. Not so much an "individualist" as at this age just pretty much don't give a hoot what other people think of me or my thoughts, actions, views, beliefs or skepticisms. And I'm not into rules. Your rules, church rules, condo rules. Government rules, my rules. Rules are the tools of despots, big and small. With my rules, I can even be despotic with myself. A despot is a self-important little man, the definition of a cockalorum, a strutting little rooster. Indeed there are despots so small as to roam a half-empty parking garage looking for a car without the requisite yellow sticker. My car.

Odd, but the most patient man under the sun, I'm waiting with anxious impatience for a guava to ripen. 

Government rules, except that only a selfish one refuses to wear a facemask to help protect other people on the grounds that it violates his rights. But with rights come responsibilities. 

Condo rules: I'm not defying anyone, but I park my car in the underground garage as I feel the need. Whenever the Parking Gestapo put yet another parking ticket on my windshield, it you-know-what's me off, but it's not so bad: move my car out to StAndrews Marina and leave it to be washed in the next rainstorm. Fifteen years old, it needs "detailing" to keep the paint in shiny top shape, but anon, anon. 

I do care about laws and the Constitution of the USA. Especially the 20th Amendment. Not so much the constitution of the State of Florida, which is a joke: who can respect a constitution with an amendment on fishing nets and that for a while had an amendment requiring a high speed train, jiminy, humans are idiots.

Church canons and rubrics are near the top of my list; not to make a big deal of, just disregard what's contemptible, scorn-able, TEC being as full of it as the next institution. Christianity is for and about the Baptismal Covenant and ἀγάπη, love Thy Neighbor as Thyself, nothing else. Its church is holy ground when and if, Mark 9:1 ἴδωσιν they will see, we see, you see, ὁράω I see, perceive, comprehend, realize, understand, and take seriously to heart and way of life, that it's about Love God, Love Neighbor, No Rules, All invited & welcome to the Lord's Table. Repeal, delete Canon 1.17.7 or forget it, go home and don't come back, you can't play. Nothing matters but WWJD.

All of which brings to mind a website or blogpost I sometimes read that perhaps once was posted daily, as it's called "The Daily Sip", currently is posted Saturdays. I never get to it till Monday because Saturday is a workday, and Sunday goes EBEMNC7&WWT. Early, Busy, Exhausted, Martini, Nap, Chill on 7H porch & Watch water traffic. Last Saturday's Sip is a trip, a mind journey to outer space, here's a link that should work, in case you care to have a go at it:

That latest Sip is an apology to Jesus. I've apologized numerous times in my lifetime, not enough but a lot; never as Sip 3952. Apologized many times, though looking back still have only been apologized to twice, two times, both times by my mother for putting me on the spot, tricking me and seeing my sadness. Otherwise, no one. How about you, has anyone ever with genuine sincerity said to you, "I'm so sorry. I apologize. Please forgive me"?

Is Charles right? It's POV, so he's right in his own mind, eh? Disenchanted for some years, and now and then it seems to pounce on him almost psychotically. As if bitter and he can't let it go when the game is long over and he lost. Depression? IDK. Disillusionment? nobody wants to live with illusions. Lonely? IDK but Lonely and Alone are not the same. Resentment? Hermit, recluse, a solitarian I can understand. Regret? IDK, but "My friends, life is short", remember, so how sad to invest life's Time in Regret. Too much time to think?

Too much time to think? It's not possible to have too much time to think, nor is it possible to think too much; but there is such a possibility as too much time spent looking in the mirror, reflecting on oneself and one's wasted life. What he now sees as evil, manipulative, to me the good and potential for good outweigh the inevitable institutional evils of every human construct.

So, what am I thinking, what's on my mind?

Tension between Genesis 1:26-31, at the close of the Sixth Day, God stepping back to take a look and seeing that it was indeed Very Good, versus several thoughts:

  • The saying (Mark Twain or W C Fields? No, apparently it was William Steig) "People are no damn good".

  • The saying (who?) "All government is always all ways all bad" that applies to every institution of human construct.

  • Frederick Buechner's quote for yesterday: "WIE MAN'S MACHT, IST'S FALSCH" is a crude German saying that means, freely translated, "Whatever people do, it turns out lousy." The Russians throw out the czars and end up with Stalin. The Americans free their slaves so they can move out into the world as paupers.

  • Genesis 6:5 The Lord saw that the wickedness of humankind was great in the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of their hearts was only evil continually. 6 And the Lord was sorry that he had made humankind on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart. 

My political observation and conclusion over life's years, specifically of the American political scene, having registered and voted in every segment, is that conservatives are for self regardless of the cost to others; and liberals are for others regardless of the cost to self. At least suppositionally; practically, not quite that black or white, red or blue, wet or dry, apples or oranges, sweet or sour, light or dark, in or out, up or down, right or left, Chevy or Ford, protestant or catholic, Christian, Jew or Muslim.

What's my point? Well, it isn't despair. Maybe hope? I'm trying to hope. Hope, yes.


Here's the collect for next Sunday, Proper 14A

The Collect
Grant to us, Lord, we pray, the spirit to think and do always those things that are right, that we, who cannot exist without you, may by you be enabled to live according to your will; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

It dates to Leonine, Gelasian, Gregorian and Sarum, and we still don't get it.

Pic: 5:03 AM 4 Aug 2020, moon setting over the west end of StAndrewsaBay

Pic: 5:43 AM 4 Aug 2020, moon pausing to watch the sunrise.

T+