my world

My world is unusual, not at all like yours. Not strange really, and weird doesn't fit, at least not from here behind my eyes and between my ears. Maybe eccentric. Before I'm done this evening maybe I'll click an online thesaurus and see if there's a word that's closer to where I feel, but for the moment eccentric.

My world has most of the cars I'd love to own and drive even if they're 1/43 scale die-cast. Among my favorites, sitting on the windowsill where I cannot not see it. is a maroon postwar DeSoto club coupe. There's another DeSoto there too, a sedan, everything else on the sill is a Chrysler, half are the same vintage as the two DeSoto cars, half are Chrysler Airflow cars, including one 1934 Chrysler Airflow two dour coupe. 

Me, I'm some sort of hybrid, theology and cosmos. It's just me here, a mind in a body temporarily using up too many pounds of atoms, particles, molecules, bits of dust and water like Adam the storied first earthling. Well, the mind is temporary too, isn't it, when the impulses stop working it'll vanish, just cease to Be as absolutely as if it had never been in its first place, and the glob of gray &c that enabled it will morph back into dust and water with the rest of the body bits that once worked as creation had in mind. I mean, remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return, right? Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust, right? "Now I lay me down to sleep &c", nomesane? Maybe you don't.

Maybe you'll understand if I make it more mundane. What I'd like more than anything right now might be to wake up having lived when I could go down (up) to Sala Motors on Harrison Avenue and buy myself what tonight seems like my ideal car. 


Gray Sala's father was the DeSoto-Plymouth dealer after WW2 when I was at Cove School and Bay High. 


A few blocks south of Bay High and little north of W&W Motors where my father to my initial consternation bought Dodges and a Plymouth instead of Buicks from his Bay High classmate Bubber Nelson. Linda's father had Buick cars and my father finally got to Buicks, but it was after I was gone away to college and later into the Navy.


Heck, I'd just about as soon have a DeSoto Airflow like that one, a 1934 year model. The DeSoto Airflow cars had six cylinder engines, the Chrysler Airflow cars were all eights. My grandparents Gentry had a 1934 DeSoto, I remember my grandmother being here in PC with it, maybe I was four or five, silver, a four door sedan, I remember her parking it at, it must have been, Childs DrugStore? on Harrison Avenue, an old fashioned curb service store: she drove up in front, honked the horn, a store clerk came out and took our ice cream order, and shortly returned with it, I had orange sherbet. Maybe that's where I'll go when I get to let my dream happen in my brand new 1947 DeSoto club coupe.

All this to get to our Sunday School lesson for tomorrow morning. We're doing the Holy Spirit. I have interesting (to me) handouts, one listing all the verses in the Bible where appears either Holy Spirit, or Spirit of God, or Spirit of the Lord. The other shows a couple of prayers to/about the Holy Spirit, What the church professes to believe about the Holy Spirit, prints he original (English translation) 325 AD creed of Nicaea, tells the heresies that grew up about the Holy Spirit, and prints the 381 AD creed of Constantinople that we say today. I say we say it, but during the covid exercise we've been mercifully letting it sit there on paper so you can read it yourself instead of spraying voice droplets into the air. Maybe I'll publish the handouts in the morning, right now it's 8:55 and past my Saturday night bedtime.


RSF&PTL

T+

Okay, last night I went to bed instead of searching for myself, but idiosyncratic maybe, or quirky; but I'm sticking with eccentric.

Within a few weeks of Pearl Harbor, the American automobile industry switched over a hundred percent to war production of tanks, warplanes, jeeps and weapons to fight the Japs and Germans, so no new cars were produced for 1942, 1943, 1944, 1945. Immediately the war ended with V-J Day in August 1945, production of cars resumed with slightly restyled prewar cars, and demand was so great that cars weren't really changed until 1949 models. Chrysler Corp cars for 1946, 1947 and 1948 were totally unchanged other than the color of the dashboard for Dodges changed from cedar red to sort of caramel tan. But that's more than you want to know.    ,