vouchsafe

 


God in heaven deliver us. The year I was born I think it was, Louisiana governor Huey P Long was assassinated, and through my growing up years I heard about what a powerful and wicked dictator he had made himself into, and how a bad thing, assassination, might conceivably be a good thing if it rids the world of evil. Certainly, a group tried to assassinate Hitler, with unspeakable consequences for the plotters. But God in heaven deliver us from evil politicians, and God in heaven will not, we humans have dominion here. 

This morning's news has a caption, "Matt Gaetz positions himself to be Florida's next governor." God in heaven, deliver us.

If we do it to ourselves, I guess we deserve what we get. God in heaven, deliver us. Henry II and Thomas Becket come to mind. And yet, a society that descends into murder as a political weapon becomes as evil as the evil itself. What has happened to Russia, for example. 

++++++++++

We are in no hurry this morning. Finishing up preps and then leaving town for several days, returning Sunday late morning or early afternoon. An adventure that we treat ourselves once or twice a year anymore, maybe Spring and Fall. With holidays looming, Linda can shop a bit, and I try to position us in close proximity to oysters, and, if possible, fried mullet - - though the fried mullet is difficult and narrows possibilities considerably, so, no mullet this Time.   

A decent breakfast: openface salmon melt. Serving of leftover baked salmon filet warmed, mashed with mayonnaise and a bit of ranch dressing with capers, on whole wheat bread, into toaster oven, slice of cheese on top. Third mug of hot & black.

Plugra: boutique butter. I like to try new things. Last week I spotted Plugra on the two-fer list, which brought it down to the regular exorbitant price of ordinary butter that doesn't call itself European Style. Fine, but unnecessary: on unsweetened Southern cornbread, can't tell Plugra from the Freedom's Choice butter we buy at TAFB Commissary.

We have a regular refrigerator-freezer, and a tiny refrigerator and a tiny freezer because I don't like to run out of things, maybe a memory from The Great Depression of my earliest years. I keep a supply of butter in the fridge, because I grew up with the household running out of things, toothpaste, bath powder, deodorant, butter, eggs, other food items before anyone could remember to go to the store for a new tube or can or pound or dozen. I cannot stand, absolutely detest, always having to run to the store for something. Or, actually, going to the store at all, except for the walking exercise, and I'm glad to have lived into the age of shopping online instead of having to go search in stores for something and if these stores don't have it going to more stores to keep looking until I found it.


Lowe's is not bad, and Home Depot: I can find it online, tell whether a local store has it in stock and, if it is in stock, tell exactly its aisle, section, and shelf. Bought safety tape for steps in a dark hallway at church recently. Bought a replacement garbage disposal for the kitchen sink that way recently. Check online Consumer Reports for ratings, recommended &c, select what I want, locate it on the store's shelf, go get it. Alternatively, I can order it delivered to the front door in a few days. 

Don't know about you, and you are none of my business anyway, but I enjoy modern life, which starts with computers. 

Comics online. National Hurricane Center. Local Weather Radar. News. A favorite comic was "Dilbert" because in my Time I'd worked in government offices with every single one of those ditsy characters, but the comic strip artist stupidly made a politically incorrect remark and Dilbert got banished. Another favorite was "Candorville" but which got unsubscribed several months ago and now it's not listed in Today's Comics Online website. Still have several favorites, going to them now and then, "Calvin and Hobbes" and "The Far Side" frequently, usually a couple times a week. The website's calendar lets you go back to a strip's very first appearances.

Lord, have mercy upon us.

Christ, have mercy upon us.

Lord, have mercy upon us.

Oh, almighty Lord and everlasting God, vouchsafe, we beseech thee, to direct, sanctify, and govern both our hearts and bodies in the ways of thy laws and the works of thy commandments; that through thy most mighty protection both here and ever, we may be preserved in body and soul; through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Why the Church dumped this collect in our 1970s-era prayer book transition I will never know.

What's with the cartoons? Is there a connection with the text? Again resorting to my favorite Mary Tyler Moore line from the "Mary Poppins" movie that we saw at a movie theater in Tokyo back in the 1960s, "Let me make one thing perfectly clear: I never explain anything."

RSF&PTL

T88&c