clock

 


All our growing up years, there was an electric clock on the mantel over the fireplace in the living room. On the right side of the mantel, with its cord running down to the electric outlet on the wall there. I have no idea what happened to that clock, which came to mind this morning as I puzzled over the electric clock that Joe gave me years ago when he was relocating, and getting rid of things. 

Ungodly heavy for such a small thing, it had belonged to Glenna, Patty's mother, was now mine, and sat on whatever table or shelf was near my working space. It's dead this morning, dead beyond resurrection, will be replaced; and looking online I saw the very clock that was the timepiece in our living room those years. I don't know whether our parents took it along when they relocated from the Cove to St Andrews in 1963, I don't recall ever seeing it there.

My new clock will be like neither, not plug in, it will run on a battery, and it will be small and red, like the red clock I accidentally knocked off my working table and broke some months ago, like my similar red clock that I took to Malinda for her bedside table at Pruitt. Those were analog, but it doesn't really matter to me whether my new red clock is digital or analog. Sitting working, I like to have a clock that I can glance at rather than having to find my cellphone and check the time, or peering at the tiny clock on my computer desktop. 

Glenna's clock served me well as that clock for years. My new clock will be small and red, and Mr Safety will try to be more careful with this one.

+++++++++

But a sermon. This morning. I was up way too early with it, then breakfast at five, then an hour's nap, up, shower and shave, and in the car enroute to church. See you there!

RSF&PTL

T88&c


+