Time

 


Tyndall, we are going to TAFB this morning, taking my prescription reading glasses to the optical shop: the right lens fell out, the screw that holds it in the frame needs replaced. My insurance allows me one new pair of eyeglasses a year, maybe while there I'll order an extra pair in that prescription.

King Charles III has unspecified cancer? Sad to read that. I remember when he was born and've watched him all his years. He was a good kid. It is a fact that his hyper-macho Germanic father bullied him, but as an adult Charles seemed eventually to assert control of himself. I understand a lot about him and wish him long years, he's entitle'

Once beautiful and prosperous, Gaza is being reduced to rubble. It's unthinkable, but if, meaning to kill all Texans and reclaim the land, Mexico came against Texas in 7 October fashion, we would reduce Mexico to rubble the height of the sea, in even shorter order than Israel is going against Hamas. I mean, look at our outraged response to 9/11.

News sources I trust include Reuters, Guardian, Jerusalem Post and a few others. In an Opinion column yesterday, JP carried an essay by a recently released IDF soldier who reported witnessing the total melding of Hamas, its attitudes and life, with the Gazan population, including determination against Israel. It would take the generations of several lifetimes to overcome that hatred, and will never be possible as long as the regime stands in Iran where, as over and over again throughout human history, it is being proved that there is no more oppressive evil than religious certitude;

including the planting of certitudinous Christianity in foreign lands by well-meaning but misguided missionaries. For example, our Anglican colleagues in some countries totally support their national laws that make homosexuality a capital crime.  

+++++++++++

Reading: a small stack of The New Yorker issues here, they arrive faster than I get to them, except for always immediately reading "Tables for Two" about a writer's visit to a new restaurant somewhere in New York, and checking the Fiction piece, this week's titled "Life With Spider"


Bookwise, I'm reading Robert A Caro's "Working" - - a book given to me by a dear friend. So far so excellent: Caro's first two essays are can't-put-down fascinating. Also read: this morning I may start R P Warren's book "A Place To Come To" - - which I've not read for years and don't even remember what it was about. Spotted it yesterday while looking through my bookshelf for something else, and set it aside to begin again. Maybe.

On a personal note, last Sunday morning, my eight o'clock went exactly as intended; but in the pulpit at ten-thirty something skipped. I thought I'd put sermon notes in the wrong order, but that did not happen; so I'm puzzling and trying to work out that blank moment, which I clearly remember. In every life there comes the Time, and at this age it's appropriate to See before one is told.

Bug man coming today. They knock, enter 7H, he smears something here and there and leaves. We've lived here just over nine years, and've seen almost no bugs - - those large cockroaches that some folks call palmetto bugs. 

Hope you also have none, but this is Florida.

RSF&PTL

T88&c

 

 


 


Symp