mayonnaise or butter?

How do you fix a cucumber sandwich? Of all the little sandwiches, they’re my favorite at an English tea or on a proper table at a dainty party, but a favorite anytime and anyway and I don’t make them delicate. Instead of crossways to get the little rounds, I cut lengthwise to cover the slice of bread. If the cuke is long I cut it in half first so the lengths fit inside the bread. Don’t waste the rounded end either. 

I always eat only whole wheat bread, except so as not to detract from the cucumber taste, same with a tomato sandwich, I use Pepperidge Farm extra thin sliced white bread, 40 calories slice. The how do you fix? question is butter or mayonnaise. When I was a boy, and maybe still the classic, was a thin smear of butter; but we didn’t have mayonnaise then unless somebody made it. My preference is mayonnaise, and it has a faint lemony. Makes the perfect cucumber sandwich. 


Don’t slice or scrape the green skin off either, I like it real and besides the skin may have vitamins, who knows. Slice lengthwise, lots of thin slices for a thick and juicy sandwich, smear of mayo. Anytime with wine or tea, but best is for breakfast, with a cup of Kona.

Same formula for cucumber sandwich as for tomato sandwich and for onion sandwich. Use those sweet Georgia onions. Also round sliced pineapple sandwich. And banana sandwich.