One Reason Why I Am An Episcopalian

Besides that I was born one why am I an Episcopalian? Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because Old Testament hospitality to strangers trumps Church rules about who can come to Supper. Because it's part of the ages of ages. Because it is okay that my pervasive doubt is the pillar and buttress of my tottering faith. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because I can pshaw the Nicene Creed even as I stand and say it. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because I don’t have to leave my brain at the door when I come to church. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because I don’t have to accept the dogma of superstitious old men from hundreds of years ago. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because it is good practice for heaven where nothing is sung but Anglican Chant. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because we can count back more than five thousand years. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because it's okay to see that a story is just a story. Because it's part of the ages of ages. Because I can hear God's song in the silence of space beyond the stars, stretching to the edge of this universe and beyond to the next, billions of eons in every direction. Because it's part of the ages of ages. Because it's okay to realize that the Big Bang and the Logos hum the same tune. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because its worship and theology are not the thinking of some local fool. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because I can love my children whom I see and touch more than I love the Unseen. Because it's part of the ages of ages. Because I am free to pick the Bible to pieces. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because I am at home worshiping in any Episcopal church in the land. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because I believe that my children are God’s love for me. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because I don’t have to believe what everyone else believes. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because it isn’t changing trendy from year to year. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because it’s about agápe. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because it’s not about right or left wing political agenda. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because we can worship together and be friends even though your candidate for president is a nutcase. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because I don’t have to hide my bottle of malbec in the check out line. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because I don’t have to rationalize God. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because I don’t have to justify God with Achen at Ai. Because it's part of the ages of ages. Because faith doesn’t require me to be an insufferable idiot who smugly says I believe this even though I know damn well it ain’t so. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because I don’t have to walk meekly to Moriah with Moses and Isaac. Because it's part of the ages of ages. Because I can be both a scientist and a Christian. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because evolution isn’t a four-letter word. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because the Big Bang doesn’t cause me to bury my head in the sand. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because nobody says literal and inerrant. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because this Bread means Jesus loves me. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because I can think for myself. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because I can laugh at the talking snake. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because I can chuckle when a talking jackass shows its master who's the jackass. Because it's part of the ages of ages. Because my "being saved" (whatever that means) is God's problem not mine, and my task is simply to love my neighbor. Because it's part of the ages of ages. Because the Bread means Jesus loves you. Because it’s part of the ages of ages. Because faith is hope, not certitude. Because it's part of the ages of ages. Because the Bread means Jesus loves, loves, loves, loves, loves, and the Bread is for everyone, not just insiders. Because it's part of the ages of ages.

Instructed Eucharist in the nave (sanctuary) this morning. Sunday School class today for those who've already participated in the Instructed Eucharist. As I promised during the confirmation class sessions, let's search out the common elements of our nine Eucharistic Prayers. Come play the game.

TW+