the Season

Smithsonian online magazine arrives in my in-box periodically, and I enjoy reading this article and that. It was free, which appealed, though I’m not sure how long that lasts, likely they want to get me addicted and then pounce. It won’t work: our years subscribing to their print magazine I had to struggle to get everything read before the issues started piling up, eventually got so far behind and just gave up. 


This morning a perfect Greek-style temple in Armenia, which was interesting although I glanced before donning spectacles, thought it said America, and clicked to open. Armenia is where, because people were starving, I had to finish my vegetables. Several other articles, not hesitating to sidetrack and read, as Saturday and Sunday are excluded from my New Years Resolution, which so far I’ve managed to keep intact five days. It has to do with some level of exercise that is acceptable and respectable to me and me alone, I don’t have to please you or anyone else. And diet, not a diet but simply what I eat: a bit less of everything plus effort to remember to eat probiotics and prebiotics and maybe this presbystomach will ease off. Easy to start, with the kimchee Joe brought me and my large jar of green olives (really for the occasional martini but I didn’t know they are good for me as well) and stash of dark chocolate. 


What else from Smithsonian? An article about the rainbow spider that drifted into the cobalt blue tarantula. 


Nightmare stuff not to be read before bedtime. STOP me if I’ve already told that summer 1971 after we moved out of our house in San Diego, the neighbors found a tarantula in our garage. For me, that would have been flee and leave the house burning down Time STOP 

Interrupt: suddenly concerned about whether Stinky’s Fish Camp are/is open Mondays, checking my calendar, check and it is/they are open. Been a long time: Frank is on calendar for Monday a week away and Stinky’s is our favorite restaurant. Okay, I got diverted browsing the menu. Maybe the Oyster Log this time. Or maybe …

Back to business then. Epiphany One is the Baptism of Christ, which, because of the Voice from heaven saying, "You are my beloved Son," is the first grand epiphany of the season


In response to the first reading Genesis 1:1-5, we have Psalm 29, psalmist's experience of the Word of God

וַיֹּ֥אמֶר אֱלֹהִ֖ים יְהִ֣י way·yō·mer ’ĕ·lō·hîm yə·hî

and said God, “Let there be …” 

The BANG comes almost pre-simultaneous not simply with the Voice of the Lord, but, as with our own moving and speaking, slightly instantaneously before, as the mind of God moves to say, the essence of the Word of God. Psalm 29 responds with astonished wonder:

1 Ascribe to the Lord, you gods, *
ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
2 Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his Name; *
worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.

3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters;
the God of glory thunders; *
the Lord is upon the mighty waters.
4 The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice; *
the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendor.
5 The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees; *
the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon;
6 He makes Lebanon skip like a calf, *
and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.

7 The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire;
the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness; *
the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
8 The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe *
and strips the forests bare.
9 And in the temple of the Lord *
all are crying, "Glory!"

10 The Lord sits enthroned above the flood; *
the Lord sits enthroned as King for evermore.
11 The Lord shall give strength to his people; *

the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.

Should make for interesting Sunday School discussion. 

DThos+


Baptism of Christ, mid 12th century, Capella Palatina di Palermo, Italy