nineteen?

A poet I'm not, but I love where some poetry takes me, and I do read some of the Poem A Day offerings that every morning arrive in my email. Read some, scan most, let some slip through and accumulate with the 12,016 other emails in my in-box.

 

Honestly can't say what kind of poems I like best, Holmes, obviously, 

Have you heard of the wonderful one-hoss shay,

That was built in such a logical way

It ran a hundred years to a day,

And then, of a sudden, it -- ah, but stay,

I'll tell you what happened without delay,

Scaring the parson into fits,

Frightening people out of their wits, --

Have you ever heard of that, I say?

Seventeen hundred and fifty-five.

Georgius Secundus was then alive, —


but even poems I like I forget the poem and poet even faster than I forget good jokes that people tell. Some classics, Poe, "The Raven" Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary, Frost, several of his classics, Tomas Transtromer, do you know this one - - one English translation of his Swedish poem. At the phrase "Then up" another translator says "Then, a rising"

The Couple

They switch off the light and its white shade

glimmers for a moment before dissolving

like a tablet in a glass of darkness. Then up.

The hotel walls rise into the black sky.

The movements of love have settled, and they sleep

but their most secret thoughts meet as when

two colours meet and flow into each other

on the wet paper of a schoolboy’s painting.

It is dark and silent. But the town has pulled closer

tonight. With quenched windows. The houses have approached.

They stand close up in a throng, waiting,

a crowd whose faces have no expressions.

Whittier Still sits the schoolhouse by the road, a ragged beggar sleeping, Kipling If you can keep your head when all about you are losing their and blaming it on you ... then you will be a man, my son. Thomas Hardy*. Longfellow The day is cold, and dark, and dreary 
It rains, and the wind is never weary;
 The vine still clings to the mouldering wall,
 But at every gust the dead leaves fall,
 And the day is dark and dreary.

 My life is cold, and dark, and dreary;
 It rains, and the wind is never weary;
 My thoughts still cling to the mouldering Past,
 But the hopes of youth fall thick in the blast,
 And the days are dark and dreary.

 Be still, sad heart! and cease repining; 
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
 Thy fate is the common fate of all,
 Into each life some rain must fall,
 Some days must be dark and dreary. 

Some poems that I appreciate may disclose more about me than I want anyone outside of my own mind to know. 

In Friday's email came a poem by Jim Moore, who is coming up on eighty years old, that I liked, especially for the last day of the year,

Sometimes I just sit like this at the window and watch
the darkness come. If I’m smart, I’ll put on Bach.

I’m thinking now of how far it always seems there is to go.
Maybe it is too easy that I speak so often

of late last light on a December day,
of that stubborn grass that somehow still remains green

behind the broken chain link fence on the corner.
But the need is so great for the way light looks

as it takes its leave of us. We say
what we can to each other of these things,

we who are such thieves, stealing first
one breath and then the next. Bach, keep going

just this slowly, show me the way to believe
that what matters in this world has already happened

and will go on happening forever.
The way light falls on the last

of the stricken leaves of the copper beech
at the end of the block is something to behold.

.

the notion "that what matters in this world has already happened" - - catches my eye and may be apt for my life, but surely not globally unless Mother Nature targets us with an Act of God, or we really mess up - - 

When I like a poem that comes up, I usually scroll down and read more of the poet's work, and maybe related themed poems of other poets. Jim Moore again, a poem he wrote in 2012, Twenty Questions:

Did I forget to look at the sky this morning
when I first woke up? Did I miss the willow tree?
The white gravel road that goes up from the cemetery,
but to where? And the abandoned house on the hill, did it get
even a moment? Did I notice the small clouds so slowly
moving away? And did I think of the right hand
of God? What if it is a slow cloud descending
on earth as rain? As snow? As shade? Don't you think
I should move on to the mop? How it just sits there, too often
unused? And the stolen rose on its stem?
Why would I write a poem without one?
Wouldn't it be wrong not to mention joy? Sadness,
its sleepy-eyed twin? If I'd caught the boat
to Mykonos that time when I was nineteen
would the moon have risen out of the sea
and shone on my life so clearly
I would have loved it
just as it was? Is the boat
still in the harbor, pointing
in the direction of the open sea? Am I
still nineteen? Going in or going out,
can I let the tide make of me
what it must? Did I already ask that?

asking himself questions but also ruefully recalling something he Might Have Done But Didn't when he was nineteen and asking himself if he's still nineteen - - comes straight home to me hearing Frank Sinatra singing "When I was seventeen, it was a very good year" and remembering my own fifteen and sixteen and seventeen and eighteen and nineteen and wondering why I'm still that age deep inside, but have to take all these heart pills, and see a nineteen year old boy in the photo in Linda's closet, but while shaving this morning saw a very old man carefully minding a searing bout of sciatica and wonder WTH, I never visualized this on that September morning in 1941 at Cove School when I looked around and Mama was gone.

Yet, all in all, if you are so fortunate as to get here, you will be thankful for so many and so much.

Wishing you long years!



T  

 


* Thomas Hardy: God-Forgotten
I towered far, and lo! I stood within 
   The presence of the Lord Most High, 
Sent thither by the sons of earth, to win 
   Some answer to their cry. 

   --"The Earth, say'st thou? The Human race? 
   By Me created? Sad its lot? 
Nay: I have no remembrance of such place: 
   Such world I fashioned not." - 

   --"O Lord, forgive me when I say 
   Thou spak'st the word, and mad'st it all." - 
"The Earth of men--let me bethink me . . . Yea! 
   I dimly do recall 

   "Some tiny sphere I built long back 
   (Mid millions of such shapes of mine) 
So named . . . It perished, surely--not a wrack 
   Remaining, or a sign? 

   "It lost my interest from the first, 
   My aims therefor succeeding ill; 
Haply it died of doing as it durst?" - 
   "Lord, it existeth still." - 

   "Dark, then, its life! For not a cry 
   Of aught it bears do I now hear; 
Of its own act the threads were snapt whereby 
   Its plaints had reached mine ear. 

   "It used to ask for gifts of good, 
   Till came its severance self-entailed, 
When sudden silence on that side ensued, 
   And has till now prevailed. 

   "All other orbs have kept in touch; 
   Their voicings reach me speedily: 
Thy people took upon them overmuch 
   In sundering them from me! 

   "And it is strange--though sad enough - 
   Earth's race should think that one whose call 
Frames, daily, shining spheres of flawless stuff 
   Must heed their tainted ball! . . . 

   "But say'st thou 'tis by pangs distraught, 
   And strife, and silent suffering? - 
Deep grieved am I that injury should be wrought 
   Even on so poor a thing! 

   "Thou should'st have learnt that Not to Mend 
   For Me could mean but Not to Know: 
Hence, Messengers! and straightway put an end 
   To what men undergo." . . . 

   Homing at dawn, I thought to see 
   One of the Messengers standing by. 
- Oh, childish thought! . . . Yet oft it comes to me 
   When trouble hovers nigh.

Thomas Hardy