A Duty Station

Proper 20    The Sunday closest to September 21
Grant us, Lord, not to be anxious about earthly things, but to
love things heavenly; and even now, while we are placed among
things that are passing away, to hold fast to those that shall
endure; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns
with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
 In the Navy we were moved from duty station to duty station, twelve or fourteen assignments over our twenty year career. Each assignment had duties, things to do. And there was a “fitness report” by the superior officer, grading my performance, the quality of my work. 
We are having more of Saint Paul, moving from Romans into his letter to the Philippians and through that for four Sundays. There will be a reading from each of the four chapters. By pure coincidence (some say there are no coincidences, who knows), the reading for Sunday flows beautifully from the Collect for the Day, Proper 20.   
21... to me, living is Christ and dying is gain. 22If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labour for me; and I do not know which I prefer. 23I am hard pressed between the two: my desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better; 24but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you. 25Since I am convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with all of you for your progress and joy in faith, 26so that I may share abundantly in your boasting in Christ Jesus when I come to you again.
27 Only, live your life in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that, whether I come and see you or am absent and hear about you, I will know that you are standing firm in one spirit, striving side by side with one mind for the faith of the gospel, 28and are in no way intimidated by your opponents. For them this is evidence of their destruction, but of your salvation. And this is God’s doing. 29For he has graciously granted you the privilege not only of believing on Christ, but of suffering for him as well— 30since you are having the same struggle that you saw I had and now hear that I still have. Philippians 1:21-30. (NRSV)
Paul says that though he would rather die and be with Christ, he expects to go on living, and that being the case, he will live a life worthy of Christ. He encourages us to do likewise. Saint Paul was writing lovingly to members of the church he founded at Philippi, but the church soon recognized everything Paul said as God speaking to the church, and to each member, and so the church canonized Paul’s letters as Holy Scripture. In our worship this coming Sunday then, a lector will read this lesson from Philippians and proclaim, “The word of the Lord!” 
From both Paul and the Collect, instead of living selfishly, greedily, for ourselves alone, we are encouraged to live a life that makes the Lord proud.
What would that be? The answer is easy, isn’t it: agape, lovingkindness. Thoughtfulness, courtesy, consideration, generosity, hospitality, kindness, love. The answer is easy. But the answer isn’t the problem. The problem is the doing. Life isn’t a written test or an oral exam, it’s an assignment, a duty station. And there will be a fitness report.
TW+