Press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus

Paul to the Philippians (KJV)
Letter 3. Warnings, Advice. 3:1b-4:3
To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe.
 2Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.
 3For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
 4Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: 5Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; 6Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. 7But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
8Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, 9And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: 10That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death, 11If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
12Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
15Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. 16Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.
17Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. 18(For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: 19Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)
20For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: 21Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.
1Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, my dearly beloved.
 2I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord. 3And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.

Many Bible scholars - and many Bible students, myself included and perhaps the folks in our Tuesday morning Bible study - perceive Paul’s letter to the Philippians as a composite of three letters. “Letter 3” is printed above because our second reading for this coming Sunday is extracted from the context of Letter 3 -- the blue print being that extract. The quaint, archaic King James Version  may be somewhat awkward to the modern reader, but for literal word for word accuracy, KJV may translate Paul to Philippians more correctly than later, theologically-driven and socially-influenced translations, including the RSV and NRSV. The KJV is the historic Bible of Anglicanism anyway, and is always welcome in my life.
At any rate, Paul is warning members of his little church at Philippi not to listen to the so-called “Judaizers,” who are coming in after Paul has left and telling folks that to follow the faith of Jesus and worship the God of Israel they must submit fully to the Law of Moses, including circumcision. In excited, vivid language Paul writes to set them straight: everyone, Jew and Gentile alike, is invited and welcome into the saving faith of Jesus Christ under the one, true God. 
If we were to take a single verse from the Sunday reading, perhaps it might be Philippians 3:14: I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus and ask ourself quietly, privately and prayerfully this morning whether we are listening for God’s word about our own high calling in life. The prize in this life might be praying “Whatever you say, Lord” and submitting to the will of God, and realizing surprising relief, peace, satisfaction and joy. To the extent I have done this, I have found it so in my own life. Others may find it so as well.
The prize hereafter, by faith is eternal life.
TW+