All Things Bright and Beautiful


All things bright and beautiful


In one of my nightmares Linda and I have just arrived for a week’s vacation at a beautiful seaside inn right on the ocean. The first morning, I come out of my room to go downstairs for a cup of coffee. As I step out into the hall, Jim Cantore rushes out of the room next to ours. Horrified, I shout “Oh 19th-letter, Cantore’s here,” and Linda starts packing.

Three months to H-season 2012 and counting. May we have another season without a Cantore Day.

At our house, the opposite of a Cantore Day is a Judy Day, and yesterday was a Judy Day. In over 76 years I’ve never seen lovelier February weather. Sunshine, blue sky, mid seventies, shirtsleeves. A day to stroll the garden and show my iPhone the azaleas.

Like the camellias that are bloomed out, most of the azaleas came from our yard on Massalina Drive half a century ago. 


They were originally planted by me (and Hayes and Anderson) sixty to sixty-five years ago.

One, the palest pink, is elusively, heavenly fragrant. It may be my favorite --

Linda has bought several beautiful red ones


But most are very old


One, a lovely variegated, was given to Linda by next door neighbor Bill Lee, from a cutting of an azalea his mother grew long years ago:


The little flowers that open ...
This promising day is plenty foggy over St. Andrews Bay at the moment, 68 F 100% humidity. My porch screens are hanging sodden with water.
the sunset, and the morning
that brightens up the sky
The cold wind in the winter,
the pleasant summer sun
He gave us eyes to see them,
and lips that we might tell
how great is God Almighty,
who has made all things well.
All things bright and beautiful

And every day a gift.
TW+