Waldoboro Wäller


Light drizzle, 66F, 96%. Wishing somewhat for crisp sometimes I check the weather in Waldoboro, Maine. It’s 97% and 42F, might be nice with a blanket for sitting outside.

Originally Broad Bay, Waldoboro was once a major shipbuilding town, where in 1888 a shipyard there built the first five-masted schooner on the east coast. 


Waldoboro was settled by German emigrants, including my ancestor Andreas Wäller (1721-1769), who was born to Hans and Maria in Hamm, Rheinland, Prussia.

Just over five years ago, summer 2008, Linda, Kristen and I went to Maine just because Kristen and I had always wanted to. Driving along the coast and eating lobster, clams and fried haddock, we were within a few miles of Waldoboro but didn’t go there. At the time, I was still under the misinformed illusion that my Weller ancestry was English, had no idea about Andreas. Now I’m anxious to go back to Maine specifically to visit Waldoboro. We may go next summer.

TW