Intelligent Design Tithing


Watching TV out of the corner of my eye, with mute on. On techbytes just now two or three Starbucks aps allow me to order coffee, charge my Starbucks account, check and replenish the balance. It makes sense, eh, to have a church ap. On Sunday morning at the Offertory I can take out my smartphone, pay my tithe, kick in a little extra if the sermon moved me to tears or laughter, and respond to the announcement about the Food Pantry running low by clicking in an extra ten bucks or ordering a case of spaghetti sauce. But no, we’d rather pass a plate around because we’ve always done it that way. Cripes, church, get with it, you might even stream the church's sound system to my iPhone for folks like me.

And while we’re at it why not stream online anyway, like my buddy's UMC church does, for folks who wish they wanted to get up and go to church. Or at least wish they wished they wanted to get up and go to church; there’s salvation even in wishing you wished. Stick your iPhone in the windshield holder that you use for GPS-ing and watch church on your way to the marina. Hum-a-long with the gospel hymn as you back your boat down the ramp. 


Listen to the sermon on the way across to Shell Island. And even there "pass the Peace" if your device has service. Mine didn’t last summer the last time I was over there.

Prompted by an FB friend, listened to an interesting show on Stitcher Radio https://apps.facebook.com/stitcherradio/ this morning, with a section on Obamacare and another section on “Intelligent Design.” Where am I on those things? As I see life, a government that can afford to wage endless wars across the seas to protect our way of life can DW afford to make that way of life worthwhile by looking after the health of its people. The other thing? In the Episcopal Church you don’t have to check your brain at the door.

Munching a tiny chunk of delicious cheese Tass gave me for XMAS while waiting for my black bean mushroom burger to heat up in the toaster broiler.

TW+