On A Song


Going Places

Phil Everly died yesterday, he was 74. His brother Don is almost 77. With me among them, the Everly Brothers were favorites for many young people who loved “Rock and Country” in the fifties and sixties. Actually you can go back, and as happens a few times every year, when I’m of a mind to go back there, the Everly Brothers are available on YouTube and still lifelong favorites. 

In the early video album with On the Wings of a Nightingale, the two young brothers wander around a junkyard looking for the ideal car to restore, and they find it: a 1957 Chevy Bel Air convertible. As they sing, you watch the classic turquoise car being towed away and to the garage where they take it apart and start work. They work along, and as the song ends they are driving that immaculately showroom car, now gold, on an American backroad crossing a covered bridge. It was available on YouTube for a long time, then one day I went looking for it and it was gone. Taken down for copyright I suppose. Just now I found it but without the video.


Many others, When will I be loved and Cathy’s Clown and ‘til I kissed ya and All I Have To Do Is Dream and Wake Up, Little Susie and Bye Bye Love and ... in any event, here are some connects http://www.eonline.com/news/495710/phil-everly-of-the-everly-brothers-dead-at-74-here-are-5-of-the-duo-s-essential-hits

Seems to me either Paul McCartney or George Harrison wrote On The Wings Of A Nightingale for them. It’s my favorite, because I had the album on cassette tape and a little over twenty years ago listened to it while driving a 1983 Mercury from Apalachicola to Lynchburg, Virginia to get Tass at college. The evening I got there I took Tass and two friends out for supper. The next morning we left the Mercury in the R-MWC parking lot and drove her Mercedes 300SD home for Christmas vacation. Daddy's baby.

You see, you can go back, you can go anywhere you want to go, anytime. All you need is a song. 

TW