Choices


Not already, OMG please, not already

Seems early for a CFB numnutz KnowNaught to be cruising BleacherReport for 2014 news and predictions, but I found some I like. Though my BR feed is PennState oriented it ranges far and wide, mainly B1G and SEC. Not much west coast coverage. PennState has been so quick and earnest to clean up after the debacle that my love for them returned that began immediately we arrived in the Harrisburg area in 1976 and could tell who was state boss and hero by the autographed pictures of Joe Paterno in every restaurant we sampled from that classy gourmet place on the West Shore of the Susquehanna to that rundown pizza dive on the shadiest backstreet of downtown Harrisburg, carry a firearm and leave the hubcaps in the trunk. 

For all his goodness in so many ways, JoePa was as innocent as the day is long when it came to facing and dealing with the unthinkable unmentionable. Coach Paterno was a little older than I am, nine years, but close enough that I understand about topics that are beyond discussion, because I also grew up in that polite America. That beloved America is so far gone that when the time comes I will be just as glad to go wherever it went.

If the bad news on BR was that PennState lost 4 star OT Grant Newsome, the good news is that he’ll play for MGoBlue. Interesting from Gainesville, Phillips quitting, why? Larry Scott, Ohio RB chased by OSU more likely to go Auburn or Alabama, let’s hope so. 4 star Jim Baker, Ohio, courted by OSU said more likely to go Florida or Tennessee, I love the Gators but cannot fathom that choice unless he’d rather play against tough competition than for a tough team.

Also enjoyed BR’s predictions for the big shot teams‘ first loss this fall. PennState over OSU the Forgettable on Oct 25, I can dig it, man, I love it, Go Lions, but don’t like BR predicting a Gamecocks loss to Auburn the same day. Love Texas A&M losing to South Carolina, we’ll see how the Aggies do this season without BigMouth, may he survive the Cleveland winter, BTDT. And Georgia losing to the Gamecocks. Tide losing to LSU? anything can happen, but believe it when I see it, if it’s a disaster I’ll standby for an emergency call to preach early that Sunday morning, but I’m not believing it. Auburn losing to Georgia(?), go Tigers. In my UF days, the Dawgs were the team we loved to hate. I went to the FlaGa game in the GatorBowl on November 7, 1953 and watched the Gators clean up. Memorable ride to the game that evening, and back home to Gville later, though I don't recall who drove, my thoughts were on the game. BR predicts FSU losing to Louisville on October 30, don't you love cardinals, I scream, you scream, we all scream for cardinals, we have many little cardinals around our yard this year, may have had a cardinal nest go Cardinals. Do not like that the Gators are playing Alabama this year, first time in several, Tuscaloosa, 1,233 tickets available from $204, anybody want to feel sick about blowing the rent money on a football game when you could have bought beer? 

Thanksgiving Weekend? OMG. Pray for incoming, pray for the eschaton to come on November 28 while my crow is still indigesting. LHM CHM LHM. 


My recollection of The Good Ole Days: Thanksgiving weekends, 1984, 85, 86, posting victorious Florida FSU scores on the hymn-board of Trinity Church. Quoth the Gator, Nevermore. I didn’t have to put up with this at UFla (BSBA57) because the first FSU game was 1958 and I was at sea --

-- in a destroyer, the only Navy duty I would happily repeat. Uh, no, there were better choices.

Favorite teams, 2014 football season:
Oklahoma State
Citadel
Clemson
NC State
Wake Forest
Syracuse
NotreDame
Louisville
Virginia
Miami of Florida
Boston College
UF 

Also like UCF Knights but not against PennState in Ireland. Go Lions.

TW