Sights and Smells


Good, Better than winter, but perhaps not the Best sign of summer to come, the mercury on my back porch reading nearly 80 degrees at two o’clock in the morning. But Linda’s garden nearly always has something nice to say all year round, gardenia bushes at the moment


fragrant blossoms reflecting the security light like a constellation of tiny full moons in the night sky.

Though the temperature and humidity send me right back in, I love being outdoors this time of day. In a half hour I’ll go down front for Linda’s PCNH, always in clear weather a bit of happiness, more flowers. They’re finished now, but in earlier spring the front yard is blessed by azaleas and shiny white dogwood blossoms and the aroma of grapefruit and lemon flowers. 

No matter how many years go by, the citrus always takes me to Gainesville in springtime, when an orange grove near the girls’ dorm covered the UF campus with loveliness. Sixty years. The trees are probably long removed, but the memory --

Beam me down, Scotty.

The newspaper will be at the end of the sidewalk down by the road where I can look across the Bay at a green channel light. Daisy?!

Musings and ruminations of age.