RRR


Red Right Returning

Want a lift? What’s the worst thing one can do to oneself? Guarantee: to feel down, discouraged and depressed with life and creation, read an online newspaper first thing of a morning. Taliban mounts major offensive in Afghanistan. ISIS advances in Iraq. Shia and Sunni mutual massacres. Border patrol checkpoint 25 miles inside the border in Arizona town harasses citizens’ daily movements around town, creating police state, well do you want to be tough on illegal immigration, or don’t you, make up your mind. Continued exposure of GM internal culture of self-serving incompetence destroys confidence in my lifelong favorite car company, why promote a lifelong insider to Top Gunness? Sgt Bergdahl who walked away from problem unit in Afghanistan, to face questioning and possible charges: AWOL or desertion? A dancer, dreamer and poet never a soldier, the boy was a misfit: discharge him and send him packing for Chrissake, want to charge somebody, charge whoever enlisted him, want to punish somebody, here am I, punish me, I’ll take his rap for him. Benghazi mastermind arrives in United States. Iraqi and Afghan armies built up by years of American blood, sweat, money, bodybags, tears, and debt burden on untold American generations to come proof out as puffballs: after watching the original Mother of All Battles in the First Gulf War fleeing over the horizon we should have known. Funeral today in Georgia for toddler left in car by father charged with murder, I don’t think I can bear one more time the picture of the little blond angel on TV, especially the one with his daddy holding him; for the love of God, some merciful person hand the boy’s father a pistol and one bullet and walk away.

What’s the matter with us? With me? It pays to be ignorant. I read the news. Television is eternally infernally invading my space, infesting my being. 

Port is left, starboard is right. 

Notwithstanding the world, this should be a good day here on Cedar Hill. My brother is in town with his family. They and all other kin who want to come will be here this evening for a gathering and supper. Also a good start to July: this time next week my son Joe will be here from W-S, NC and TJCC will be here from Tallahassee. My house will be a circus: it’s the only way I love life, full of beloveds.

Mind the lights.

I bind this day to me forever
The virtues of the star lit heaven,
The glorious sun’s life giving ray,
The whiteness of the moon at even,
The flashing of the lightning free,
The whirling wind’s tempestuous shocks,
The stable earth, the deep salt sea
Around the old eternal rocks.

Green Right Departing.