Attitude


Is an old man grouchy this morning? Neither is grouchy nor feels grouchy. The world is not my oyster, seeing that, because of a few potato chips, I took a furosemide at six p.m. that roused me at 12 midnight, again at two o’clock in the wee hours and again at four o’clock of the predawn, but no, not grouchy. Not looking at the news yet because I do not want to reenter my rage that Israeli police beat the H out of a visiting American boy -- an atrocity that here in the US would bring down all hades on the police but in that chip on the shoulder entitlement society of mutual hatred was business as usual. 

Now and then a news feed connects me to Haaretz, a Jerusalem newspaper that is quite good. Excellent, for example, was yesterday's editorial calling the entire society up short in an almost jesuische tone: 


No, what Der Alte is excited about this morning is our Sunday School class. Before recessing for the summer we decided to meet the first Sunday of June, the first Sunday of July, and the first Sunday of August. Through the 2013-14 season a leadership team of Mike Dickey and Jane Burkett joined me and we had wonderful sessions each Sunday morning. Today, our July meeting, Jane is taking the lead, Mike and I will assist her, for a look at today’s odd gospel reading from Matthew and for a fascinating bit of textual criticism. We will be losing Jane soon, because late in August she will depart for Duke Divinity School to study toward an advanced degree, a next chapter in her exciting life. I hope most everyone in our Sunday School class can come this morning.

For anyone who wants to take a quick look ahead of time, the gospel reading is Matthew 11:16-19, 25-30. It, to me, like the Haarezt editorial, also has to do with attitude:

(Jesus said) 16 “But to what will I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to one another, 17 ‘We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we wailed, and you did not mourn.’ 18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon’; 19 the Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ Yet wisdom is vindicated by her children (deeds).”

25 At that time Jesus said, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; 26 yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. 27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
28 “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

TW+

Here's more of that from yesterday: http://www.cnet.com/news/most-men-would-rather-shock-themselves-than-daydream-study-says/