Enchsh the Demon


On a universal scale of one to ten, one being “not too bad” and ten being “worst and couldn’t be worse”, a perpetual spinning beachball on my laptop is a minus three “who cares” but an annoying nuisance all the same. I’m wondering how to go deep into memory, erase and delete all the rubbish to begin again hoping to kill the thing. My BacMook is even worse cluttered with useless junk than my mind that can describe the tail lights on a 1939 Ford but can’t remember where there’s a demon in the Torah. Which I was asked at a gathering last evening, but no one asked me the difference in the 1937 and the 1938 Chevrolet. 

Asked about the demons, I did recall the night monster, לִּילִית Lilith the fearsome night hag who screams horribly in the desert wilderness, terrifying the darkness. But nobody asked me how to tell a 1935 LaSalle from a 1936 LaSalle. I also went prepared to explain how the 1935 Buick lagged behind other GM cars in design, and why. The mind clutter is why, if you ask me for a Bible verse, you get the blank stare that is my personal spinning beachball. 

But the demon --

The night hag לִּילִית is called a witch, which I reckon qualifies her as a demon. Tradition says that she was before Eve, the first wife of Adam. In modern fantasy fiction I might see her in the witch whom Digory and Polly unintentionally take into the world as Aslan is singing it into existence, introducing evil personified into what otherwise might have been a perfect creation. C.S. Lewis called her Jadis, and she was the Serpent הַנָּחָשׁ but Lewis could as easily have recognized Lilith.

Isaiah is not in the first five books that are Torah, so if I were hunting a demon there, it might be Enchsh the Serpent, Genesis 3, tempting earthlings to become what God is. The Demon of Self, Selfishness. 

There’s still that blasted spinning beachball.

W

The Magician's Nephew, of The Chronicles of Narnia. C. S. Lewis.