Probably Not.

In the forties, that is to say my forties, not the calendrical forties of the twentieth century, the nineteen-forties, which occurred some decades earlier, and perhaps I should have put dashes there instead of commas to lessen the lostness of my antecedent, but like St. Paul I rather enjoy seeing how far I can wander from it without doing what editors have done to his writing with periods and new sentences, my life changed not merely substantially, but rather almost totally in almost every conceivable way. A more religious person might say, “Yes, and you will answer for that at the great and terrible Day of the Lord,” but that’s not what I’m thinking of, I’m thinking of cars again, so what else is new?, of my drivership so to speak. 

Up until my forties, when we, this couple of which I am intellectually by now the male third, not even the “lesser half,” would go on a trip, which was always by car, I would drive, because I was head of household, the man of the house, and the male thing was to do the driving. Anymore, Linda drives, at least when we go in her car, which is almost always, but these days always when we go out of town, because I have resorted to driving junk, a junker, an old car. I do it both because I love almost any old car that will get me from 7H to HNEC and back, and because I have the feeling about the older car on the back row of the used car lot that Charlie Brown has about that Christmas tree that has shed all but a sprinkling of its needles. 

The wandering is intentional, and if I go any farther off my beaten path into the brambles, I will lose more than my antecedent. So back to point. We are leaving for Tallahassee in a few minutes, be gone all week. Linda will drive as always anymore. We are going in her car, because it’s the “good” one and also because she admitted a couple days ago that she is afraid to drive my car. I need something to do for that two hours besides stare at 231 and 1-10 or doze. The laptop is okay for Mac’s “Pages” but not for online, however my i-Pad gets 3G, so I can browse, and it’s not too bulky to hold. Because he can be ponderous, I’m still working through Lewis’ “The Abolition of Man,” so I’ve sent chapter three to my iPad and will make it my traveling companion this morning. Whether I share about it in tomorrow’s blogpost remains to be seen. Probably not.


Thos+ in +Time+