You be an angel

Merry Christmas again and again forever! Angels and shepherds and sheep, father & little mother, young people reading and older people singing, kings with gifts as a star pushes through the crowd to climb a ladder behind the babe in the manger. Children's choir singing me to tears. You be an angel and I'll be a star. 



This is the Day even if it's so early Christmas morning that not a creature is stirring not even a mouse. For customs, I've already watched A Christmas Story about Ralphie and his bb gun, which growing up I also had several, and the disgusting major award, and several glimpses of his father's 1937 Oldsmobile Six touring sedan. 



Set in the 1940s when I grew up, everything in the movie is totally credible to me. I've not checked to see what year it is, if the author meant it to be a particular year; but in the scene of Flick's tongue stuck to the flag pole, the police and fire department show up. The police car is a 1948 Chevrolet and I can prove it!



Last night I instantly said 1942 but thinking a moment later about the front grille, which was the telling difference between the cars of those model years, it's a 1948, an "earliest possible" film dating feature that is also fun and helpful in Bible study, finding precise things that are asynchronous with the writer's story to help date the writing or editing.

For Christmas Hurrication, we now have two adjoining condos for a few days, TJCC next door. Ours has two queen beds, Linda and I one, Joe asleep in the other bed as I write, Christmas morning inching on second by second toward some sort of Christmas Tree event on hurrication. 

In our room I spotted a familiar book, my old copy of Winston Churchill's "A History of the English Speaking Peoples" that Tass brought and put in our bedroom, that I'd not seen in years, and that brought back memories I enjoyed being loosed.

Along with Churchill's six volume "The Second World War" I bought this book, a single volume edition, at a favorite bookstore while I was in Taipei, Taiwan for two or three months TDY as a Navy lieutenant from early January 1965. The team I was with flew down immediately after Christmas 1964 and New Years Day 1965. My memories are varied, but Linda, Malinda and Joe (we called him Jody then, a name he renounced upon our arrival in Columbus, Ohio in June 1971 when he was ten) were back home in Yokohama. My part of the team's work took me all over Taiwan, to every USNavy installation from Taipei to Kaohsiung, though mostly I was in Taipei. The month I arrived in Taiwan, a lifelong hero, Winston Churchill died, and my Taipei memories include listening to Churchill's funeral on the radio. 

Also, standing in the roadside crowds - - the crowds were government employees, including USN civilians, mostly Taiwan nationals, who had been hustled out of offices to watch and wave little flags - - as Chiang Kai-shek rode by in the back seat of a Cadillac limousine, seated beside South Korea president Park Chung Hee, whom he had just welcomed at the airport. I was standing as close to Chiang and Park as I am to you right now, the two close up, chatting. 

Among many other memories of that TDY and that one-of-the-best Time of my life that Tass stirred by bringing my book, I watched Boeing 727 airliners fly in low, seemingly right over car-top, at the end of the main street in Taipei, from right to left in the landing pattern as they headed in to the local airport. The 727 was a relatively new plane and may have been my first time seeing them. 

Weather in Taipei I vaguely recall as being delightful while we were there, springlike and more to my liking than it was back home in Yokohama those months; far, far better than it had been for me two years earlier, in Ann Arbor, Michigan. 

Life and its Time move along, don't they. 


Tass didn't realize the nature of memories she would shake to my surface when she left the book on my bed.


Christmas gift: reindeer socks, soft, warm and comfortable. I think they're brown, Linda says they're gray. They'll be my new winter sleeping socks!



Happy Christmas to all.

T








https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/77-years-ago-america-got-the-wwii-christmas-surprise-it-needed-winston-churchill