So, well okay then


No blog, conversation, or essay should begin with Well or Okay or So, as in the Carolina Israelite, Harry Golden (1902-1981)'s chat in his book "So, What Else Is New?", of Jewish immigrant life and their Yiddish language and expressions in the Lower East Side garment district where he grew up after his family emigrated, when Harry was little, from shtetl Mikulintsy in what is now Ukraine, then Austria-Hungary. There was a time, not sure but I think I gave them to Joe when we moved out of the Old Place, when I had a collection of all of Harry Golden's books; collected and read again later in life because I had so loved and enjoyed them as a young adult.

So, I'll not begin with one of those base commoners.

Yes, I'm an Episcopal priest, long retired, but I'm also a US Navy officer, twice as long retired, and beyond all that, I'm a white male American human being, an orphan so no longer a son, but husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather, uncle, brother, still a nephew, cousin. Christian because that's what and where I was born, and I'm fully aware of that, and, having studied and mused over it repeatedly and constantly over the years until I finally professionalized and vocationalized it by ordination, I'm sticking with it. 

At any event, where I'm going is to remind self and any reader that, regardless that tomorrow's Sunday and I'm a priest, this is not a Bible blog. Online are many Bible blogs and Spiritual blogs, who wants that, go find one, some of them are really good, I read a few myself.

And, whereas I started out writing every day, first as a medical update and then as personal rubbish, and kept to that for nearly nine years, as declared recently, I'm claiming my own self and saying that instead of daily, I'll blog when I DWP. Which did not include yesterday, and today was quite busy but I'm getting round to it now, Saturday evening. Tomorrow's blog will be posted after church, about noon, so go ahead and breathe tomorrow morning.

Not a Bible blog, I'm thinking of Kristen's cat Pacey, a soft and beautiful kitty if ever there was one. Now ten years old, Pacey spent a couple days at the vet's last week, that shaved place on his left front leg was for the IV. He's fine now. 

Also, I'm thinking about a Navy ship, no armament except in wartime, that stumped me several days ago when I came across a picture of the flight deck and thought, I've been retired 41 years, but that superstructure wasn't like that of any Navy aircraft carrying and missioned warship I've ever seen.


So I google and find out it's the USS Lewis B. Puller (ESB-3), an expeditionary sea base ship, commanded by a Navy O6,



and who could ever forget Marine Corps general Chesty Puller



and they all seem to be named for Navy and Marine heroes 



including one ship




that's named for Vice Admiral Kenneth R. Wheeler, a WW2 hero whom I met when he was a captain, very early in my Navy career. Ken Wheeler, a war hero, a really great and personable guy.

If nobody bothers to read my blog tonight, I'll see me tomorrow.

T