October Remember

 So what else is new? posits Harry Golden, born in a shtetl in what is now Ukraine where his father was a Hebrew teacher, transiting as an infant, via Winnipeg, to New York City, as he remembers growing up on the Lower East Side.

 


Harry and his memories and observations are a lifelong favorite read. I acquired all his books, treasures and a treasure, but think I remember giving that collection to Joe as we started our own transit nearly six years ago, I guess this month, and discovered the joys and freedoms of condo living into life's autumn!


October: stuff. Oct 10 HMichael he who shall not be named and far more. Oct 17 heart issue. Oct 17 UF 60 The Citadel 0 and I didn't realize Charles Duvall was on the other side, we were the same age. October 20 +Time begins as a daily posting on CaringBridge. October October. Moved out of summer a month ago, we are having a Florida autumn, about 70°F out here at the moment, humid on the Bay. October. Last evening I was noticing how more distinct long ago memories are than the past two, two and a half years, and I don't think it's age, or not just age, there's a blurriness to the ambulance and scaffolding era that I think the brain downloaded as a mercy. Brains are that way.


In mind. F Buechner (nee Büchner? so Beek-ner) and his essays daily on line. I still have my collection of his books, also a treasure. A longtime favorite:


Remember

When you remember me, it means that you have carried something of who I am with you, that I have left some mark of who I am on who you are. It means that you can summon me back to your mind even though countless years and miles may stand between us. It means that if we meet again, you will know me. It means that even after I die, you can still see my face and hear my voice and speak to me in your heart.

 

For as long as you remember me, I am never entirely lost. When I'm feeling most ghostlike, it's your remembering me that helps remind me that I actually exist. When I'm feeling sad, it's my consolation. When I'm feeling happy, it's part of why I feel that way.

 

If you forget me, one of the ways I remember who I am will be gone. If you forget me, part of who I am will be gone.

 

"Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom," the good thief said from his cross (Luke 23:42). There are perhaps no more human words in all of Scripture, no prayer we can pray so well.


+++++++++++


Remember the Taizé mantra?


JESUS REMEMBER ME, WHEN YOU COME INTO YOUR KINGDOM

JESUS REMEMBER ME, WHEN YOU COME INTO YOUR KINGDOM

JESUS REMEMBER ME, WHEN YOU COME INTO YOUR KINGDOM

JESUS REMEMBER ME, WHEN YOU COME INTO YOUR KINGDOM


BLM&PTL

W+



twellerpc@gmail.com