Thursday Sunrise

 


Jambalaya and crawfish pie, filé gumbo
For tonight, I'ma gonna see my ma cher a mio
Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gay-o
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL6zo5o8_ZY


Who remembers Hank Williams, I do. He died my senior year at Bay High.  We danced to his songs, before he died and after. Here's one I remember dancing to summer 1953 and receiving a letter from Linda chiding me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z2t-KfoPjg


but I remember the lyrics top above and song because breakfast this morning was seafood gumbo. From Tarpon Dock Seafood, they make tasty gumbo, to which I add many oysters and much oyster liquor, more shrimp, lots more okra, a ton of crabmeat (I'd use dark claw meat, but what I had was white lump). Stir in a little more than half a teaspoon of filé gumbo powder because I have no okra powder. Smear of Tabasco. Eat it outside on 7H porch (picture above) with a mug of ice water and listen to Hank Williams whine it out. Hank sang on Grand Ole Opry with some of his heroes and mine! 


I read that his family nicknamed him "Harm", but that bespeaks ignorance of our ways: his name was Hiram, and Harm is how Hiram is pronounced in Alabama and much of the South. Nomesane? 


What with Dr Fauci, the only credible voice, General Mattis having accurately described the other voice, on television right now warning about the extreme risks of gathering in family and friendship groups during the upcoming holiday season, I'm having thoughts myself. Especially with Florida reportedly the nation's covid19 hot spot at the moment. Thought I might go up the hill to Buddy Gandy's and see if they have mullet or Spanish, but maybe I'll give that a miss: there's hamburger patties in the fridge from last evenings Wonderful Wednesday at HNEC anyway!


Contemplating the rest of 2020 also: the New Normal may be in place. Shame, considering that the NovDecJan holiday season is so family oriented, but it is what it is, eh?!


Blessings


T+


twellerpc@gmail.com