So, What Else Is New?

It's me, it's me, it's me, O Lord. That's me. Yep, it's me (predicate nominative, it's actually I), standing at the window opening at the far east end of the HV sidewalk outside of 7H, the morning sun at my back, casting my shadow on the far wall beside the elevators.

So I'm really a shadow then, having lived into another age of the reality that a nuclear burst behind me could leave me permanently as a burned image on a wall. It happened at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It happened in the television miniseries "The Day After".

Which is a better image, a photograph, or a shadow? 

Or a memory.

A memory, I think a memory. A memory is best. Comparative with two, superlative with three. 

It's Sunday morning, when I rise at three o'clock and have coffee, black coffee and sometimes a bit of dark chocolate, both of them heart healthy, to stir my brain awake because the morning ahead may involve conversation with brainwork. 

This morning sitting up in bed sipping the black, Linda beside me with her coffee (not black) and reading the PCNH. "So, what else is new?" per Harry Golden. If you've never read Harry Golden you've missed an American treasure. 

What else is new per this morning's PCNH is that Captain's Table is ready to reopen. The hurricane put them out of business, but as soon as the hurricane wind and rain stopped they scribbled a sign on a front window that they were Reopening Soon. That was three and a half years ago, they've been slower recovering to reopen than any other business in StAndrews; but I've hoped to live to see it because they were always less crowded but just as good as Hunt's Oyster Bar, plus Captain's Table always had fried mullet. Several restaurants in StAndrews are treasures, and Captain's Table was always one.

At the Time of Hurricane Michael, HV717 resident was a member of the Captain's Table family. He stayed through the hurricane, and when we got back he was gone, I think returned home permanently to Colorado ski country. Living through one category 5 hurricane proves too much is enough of living on the Florida coast, and Carl was gone home to stay. In his place for some months, with a large, beautiful dog, was Carl's grandson, also associated with Captain's Table. In fact, he told me one morning that during the hurricane he was out in the Captain's Table boat (they fish for the seafood they serve), got caught out, and he was certain he was going to die. A strong, healthy young man in his early twenties, he stayed a few months, then left for Hawaii to hang out with a girl he'd met from there. 

The condo next door has since been sold again, completely renovated over a period of months, and residence to the new owner.

Linda and I did not renovate 7H before moving it: we've had enough renovating in life, having built one house (Pennsylvania) and done major renovation and adding floorspace (the Old Place). With family help, we repainted before we moved in and that was it, because we came for the place, view, space (from 13 rooms to 3 rooms), called it Seventh Heaven, and moved in. But oh yes, the place was gutted and redone after HMichael while we were away on hurrication. 

Hopefully, never again.

So, what else is new? Well, as promised myself, I'm reading Marcus Borg, "Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time". I don't think I read it years ago when I bought it. So far I've read the Preface and Chapter One, "Meeting Jesus Again". Taking me back to the ongoing surprises of theological seminary and to the shock of the first few chapters and sessions of EfM, It would be a fine opening for a Sunday school or midweek Bible study class of folks who are open to being disillusioned of their Certainties. 

But with eighty-seven on my horizon, a new class is not on my bucket list. I've got things to do and places to go and people to see.

RSF&PTL

T

image: crescent moon rising over downtown Panama City, 4:51 a.m. today, Sunday, 27 March 2022. remember Kate Smith during WW2? "when the moon comes over the mountain, I'll be alone with my memories of you" 

places to go and people to see