Skip to main content

Monday: Time & Brain

 

+Time, eleven, ten, and nearly a dozen years ago and more, I used to get up early, four o'clock my latest, sometimes three, bright-eyed and ready for another day of life doing something mental, write, read, think, or plan. Of all the years, it was most fun in Apalachicola, waking up in Trinity's rectory to the wonderful sound of roosters crowing, peering out a window at earth and sky as the Day worked out what it was going to be for us.

And - - unintended by me, my mind went to those years that started in 1984, my summer of being 48, but in my mind the years rolled by even faster than it happened in real Time, and it all came crashing down when memory took me to the late summer day we dropped Tass at her college in Virginia. It was summer into fall 1990, and my grief, inconsolable, flattened me for months. I did not intend to go there this morning, but the mind does its own thing.

Taking me to a morning alone on the beautiful banks of the Susquehanna River, north of Harrisburg, where watching a groundhog watch me watching him watch me gave me the basis for a sermon for the next Sunday morning. That sermon manuscript may be still around somewhere, in writing or on some computer floppy disk. I remember it: it signaled a turning point in my Time of Life and at Trinity Church, even though we were there for another eight years.

But waking up and rising early. Somehow - - I'm blaming it on Hurricane Michael and the Covid Pandemic, and that life changing overnight into the wee hours chasing a screaming ambulance to Sacred Heart Hospital, Pensacola with another daughter's life in the balance; since that year, and it began four years ago, May 2018, everything about me has changed. Habits, faith, belief, hope, life itself, what I know and what I know I don't know after all, attitude, outlook, what's important to me and what's irrelevant, what I write and what I teach and what I preach and what I'm able to do, both mentally and physically. And I've been aware of all of this, contemplated it, thought about it and think about it. Except for Sunday mornings, I no longer care to wake and rise so early, six is great, this morning it was quarter-to-seven. 

But perhaps oddly, it's okay, I'm living into it with my eyes open. I won't say It's All Good, because some things have been lost. But the mornings are good, and life is not so busy, and there's no POD like the Navy years, nor even a calendar, hell I don't even wear a watch anymore; and I don't have a List, and if I don't want to prepare next Sunday's sermon until Saturday evening or three o'clock Sunday morning, so be it, like it or lump it. 

Truth be told (what is truth?), I drafted it weeks ago and will enjoy fiddling with it mornings this week. 

Why am I here, how did I get to this mental place this morning. Have read several articles and essays. News coverage of the horror of horrors, an eighteen year old boy shooting up a grocery store, another person bringing a firearm to church to kill people, one nation trying to destroy another with War that a few weeks ago was unthinkable, I thought civilization had moved beyond such. Russian teenage boys being sent to War to be slaughtered because another madman has risen to absolute power. 

But helpful diversions that are available to anyone: a couple of blogs. One about the freedom that's gained for oneself in revealing one's secrets v. the unending stress of keeping them inside. Another, "I Have Notes" (copy and pasted below, scroll down) and its author's conversation with a poet who voices experience that I've known myself: changes over a lifetime bringing about evolution in what I know and am, that have changed what I think and write and say. Teach, preach, contemplate. I was thinking of the Trinity years: my sermons those soon forty years ago wouldn't even make sense to me now.

No matter. Yesterday we shifted furniture around, brought everything heavy inside so we never again have the extreme stress of moving heavy things inside for hurricanes and severe thunderstorms, then back outside after. Different furniture, and I'm working in a garden this morning.

RSF&PTL

T



As a subscriber to The Atlantic, you have access to all editions of this newsletter, including subscriber-only exclusives. Thank you for supporting my work.