Episcopal-101, hot & black and a mullet melt


"Israeli defence minister says a direct Iranian attack would require appropriate response" reads a Reuters headline this morning. What comes to mind is those two schoolboys sent to the office for fighting and little Johnny explaining to the Principal, "It all started when Billy hit me back."

OF COURSE there's going to be an Iranian response. Now, unfortunately, Israel has double-dog-dared Iran that their response had better not be on Israel direct; which puts Iran in the corner of being a lily-liver-yellow-belly if they strike anywhere else. 

All this because of Israel's striking an Iranian consulate and killing prominent Iranians precisely to test America's commitment at a Time when US unconditional commitment to Israel seems in doubt.

So now, America has successfully been reigned back in to Israel's side, and instead of observing, we have been dragged in as a participant, hastily assuring Israel that we have their back. 

Mission accomplished. Politics gets ugly, especially among allies who manipulate each other.

+++++++++

Actually, this is not at all what I had in mind this morning. 

Today is Friday. I've been prepping my Confirmation Class lesson plan. It's always new and different. I've been teaching "Episcopal-101" for forty years, and I make it different each year, starting from scratch each Time to make sure I don't get bored with it. 

Two sessions this year, Sunday, April 14 and Sunday April 21 in Battin Hall between services. In the past I liked making it four sessions, but with all that's going on at Holy Nativity, there was a Time squeeze, so here we are.

My class is to satisfy the Catechism Q&A,

Q.What is Confirmation?
A.Confirmation is the rite in which we express a mature 
commitment to Christ, and receive strength from the 
Holy Spirit through prayer and the laying on of hands 
by a bishop.
  
Q.What is required of those to be confirmed?
A.It is required of those to be confirmed that they have 
been baptized, are sufficiently instructed in the Christian 
Faith, are penitent for their sins, and are ready to affirm 
their confession of Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.

about being sufficiently instructed. Presiding Bishop Michael Curry has made it his theme that the Christian faith is The Way of Love, God Loves You, No Exceptions, and our task as Christian Episcopalians is to show and tell that good news. Integral to what we are, is understanding a bit about HNEC parish, CGC diocese, TEC at large, and the worldwide Anglican Communion of which we are a member church. I try to make sure that what we discuss in Episcopal-101 touches on all that, and is Timely. One aspect of Timeliness is checking out what is going on in the Church around us. 

A couple of goings-on are of particular interest to me, both involving proposed Resolutions to be considered by our triennial General Convention, which is to meet 23-28 June in Louisville, Kentucky. They are being publicized by ENS, the Episcopal News Service, and part of what I do is show folks in the Confirmation Class the parish, diocese, church-wide, and Communion publications that keep us informed, so they may subscribe if they wish. Here is one of the ENS articles: 


Folks who have been with me the past forty years know that I have a position on this, that I've had "open communion" at every altar I've officiated. I've been challenged by a bishop, stood my ground and instead of dropping it or disciplining me, he generously, kindly and lovingly sent me information about others in TEC with my same position, to let me know that it's an existing significant issue in The Episcopal Church and I'm not alone. Seems to be roughly a 50/50 divide. Which, among other things, means that I must respect both viewpoints instead of miring myself in concrete certitude.

Other denominations feel differently. I've read, fully understand and appreciate the established official position of The Roman Catholic Church, which restricts Holy Communion to members of the Catholic community - - although decades ago I received the Communion bread, transubstantiated Body of Christ, from the hand of a Catholic priest and dear friend who knew me well. 

Anyway, this issues keeps coming before General Convention. We'll see what happens this Time round.

mox nix mir, I'm soon outahere anyway.

++++++

Another possible Resolution to come before General Convention would be to clarify, that both sides of the sex/gender issues are welcome and included in TEC; specifically, for example, making it clear that priests who officiate marriage ceremonies using The Book of Common Prayer 1979 wording that reads,

Dearly beloved: We have come together in the presence of 
God to witness and bless the joining together of this man and 
this woman in Holy Matrimony. The bond and covenant of 
marriage was established by God in creation, and our Lord 
Jesus Christ adorned this manner of life by his presence and 
first miracle at a wedding in Cana of Galilee. It signifies to us 
the mystery of the union between Christ and his Church, and 
Holy Scripture commends it to be honored among all people.

The union of husband and wife in heart, body, and mind is 
intended by God for their mutual joy; for the help and comfort 
given one another in prosperity and adversity; and, when it is 
God's will, for the procreation of children and their nurture 
in the knowledge and love of the Lord. Therefore marriage is 
not to be entered into unadvisedly or lightly, but reverently, 
deliberately, and in accordance with the purposes for which it 
was instituted by God.

are not in violation of their ordination vows (and therefore subject to disciplinary action) - - instead of using the recently approved marriage rite that reads in accordance with the church's inclusive view that marriage is between two people, not necessarily just between a man and a woman.

My view on all of this is that I welcome all inclusivity, everyone present to the Altar for Holy Communion; man & woman and anyone else including same sex couples to Marriage; and all of us clergy and lay, regardless of our position on the issues, in, to, and into The Episcopal Church. My only criterion might be understood as WWJD? What do I think Jesus would do now, today, in 21st century life? 

I'm only speaking for me, you answer for yourself! It's all good.

RSF&PTL

T88&c