IDK


Whadayathink? Recently instead of blogging and pressing Publish, sort of to recover something, I'm not sure what - - IDK, maybe my lost ability to write instead of type, maybe privacy, maybe a sense of retreat that I need, but that doesn't matter - - I've been working at writing down my stream of consciousness in a spiral bound notebook, in longhand but printed instead of cursive because my handwriting is no longer legible. For comfortable retreat, all run together, no space between words, no punctuation, just have at it. Is it, has it been helpful, in any way "working" for me. Honestly, I can't tell. It's a new sort of brain exercise that requires focus instead of just loosing the dancing fingers. 

Why? I've been wondering even while typing this nonsense. One reason that pops to the surface is, I keep reading that in this computer age, schoolchildren have lost the ability to write, it's all typing on a keyboard and letter by letter shows up on a screen. What will the surviving folks do when terrorism or nuclear war wipes out the power grid?

Are we losing anything? As a student at Cove School through the 1940s, penmanship was taught and exercised and graded on. First printing, then cursive. In high school, essays were handwritten with pencil on lined paper. In college, examinations were written in standard little blue-cover exam booklets, write in pencil or pen and ink. Letters, communication, love letters were handwritten, folded and placed in an envelope, addressed by hand, with return address. And if it was getting serious, you'd put the airmail stamp on upside down. Drop it into the mail slot at the postoffice and wait days for a letter back. Seems to me there was a separate slot for airmail.

You hoped that her letter back would arrive with an upside down airmail stamp.  

Were things slower? I guess so, but we didn't know that, it was just the way things were during that evolving Time of life and history. Decades earlier the mail went there and back by stagecoach or horseback, and they thought that was fine. During my Navy years at sea, letters sat in the ship's post office until either the next arrival in port or the ship came alongside another ship and transferred the mail sack by high-line. Sometimes the ships would roll toward each other and the mail sack would get dunked, or whoever was being highlined across.  

But I'm rambling again. It's about some sort of just jotting things down in a notebook, by hand, instead of tippy-typing and watching it show up like movie credits. 

That also has changed. In my Day, the credits were shown on screen before the film started. Nowadays the credits roll at the end while the audience gets up and exits the theater - - but who wants to go to movies anymore anyway, you can watch whatever you want on the television or computer screen. 

IDK. IDK a damn thing. The older I get, the more intensely I'm aware of that, that I dunno nothing. Somehow though, it's better than thinking I knew when I didn't. He who knows not and knows he knows not sort of thing, eh?

RSF&PTL
T88&c

breakfast this morning same as supper last evening: hot & black and a half-sandwich of chopped chicken liver on one slice of extra thin whole wheat bread folded over. superior.

0815 appointment at the skin doctor's to have my recent face surgery checked. it's fine

shave and shower Time

why does he always capitalize the word Time? because he knows that it's all he has, Time is all he has