Nutty as a Fruitcake
In a hundred years it won’t matter when I lived, because, obviously, I will be as gone as George Washington is gone, as gone as the Roman centurion at Calvary is gone, as gone as Abraham. Sometimes I wonder whether there is any consciousness after death; that is to say, any consciousness of life on earth. The church already believes that there is Something not Nothing: if that is so, what is the nature of it? My life has been at a good time for me, not least due to modern medical science saving my life with a tonsillectomy, an appendectomy, and open heart surgery. And also because of my fascination with modern electronic gadgets, one of which, being typed on at the moment, has me instantly in touch with any connected person anywhere in the world, and can take and transmit my photo as I sit here, God forbid. George Washington would be astonished, not to mention Abraham. 
But when it comes to gadgets, my love for automobiles is all surpassing -- especially love for cars of the late 1920s, all 1930s cars, most 1940s cars, and many early 1950s cars. And the way America was in that late 20s to early 50s era is nostalgically most appealing to me, travel by train, including getting up to shut the coach window when the wind shifts and locomotive smoke starts drifting in, shut the window quick before there are cinders. 

As I said, a hundred years from now it won’t matter when I lived; and so if I could have chosen when to live, in America, my choice is to be born some forty years earlier. Have to wait a hundred years to exercise that choice, though, otherwise I wouldn’t be sitting here nutty as a fruitcake this morning.
Train has a interesting song that might suffice for a post-modern Christmas carol, Shake Up Christmas.
U2 has any number of songs that could beneficially replace systematic theology classes in seminary. Not least: In The Name Of Love.
Another war is over for us. Fascinating story this morning about an Iraqi teen who in 2003 actually welcomed us to liberate his country from Saddam, and who believes that what we did was worth the tremendous cost. He's an American soldier now.
Answer: Nothing; car and train pictures stirred it up.

Question: What have you been smoking this morning?

Happy Holidays!


TW+