Psalm 30 Exaltabo te, Domine




30  Exaltabo te, Domine


1
I will exalt you, O LORD,
because you have lifted me up *
    and have not let my enemies triumph over me.


2
O LORD my God, I cried out to you, *
    and you restored me to health.


3
You brought me up, O LORD, from the dead; *
    you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.


4
Sing to the LORD, you servants of his; *
    give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.


5
For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye, *
    his favor for a lifetime.


6
Weeping may spend the night, *
    but joy comes in the morning.


7
While I felt secure, I said,
"I shall never be disturbed. *
    You, LORD, with your favor, made me as strong as
                              the mountains."


8
Then you hid your face, *
    and I was filled with fear.


9
I cried to you, O LORD; *
    I pleaded with the Lord, saying,


10
"What profit is there in my blood, if I go down to the Pit? *
    will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?

11
Hear, O LORD, and have mercy upon me; *
    O LORD, be my helper."


12
You have turned my wailing into dancing; *
    you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy.


13
Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing; *
    O LORD my God, I will give you thanks for ever.
Psalm 30 is appointed for Sunday, February 12, and it’s a perfect example of how in some cases the lectionary framers made the psalm a link between the Old Testament reading and the Gospel reading. From 2 Kings we hear a good old Sunday School story about how the prophet Elisha causes General Naaman of Syria to be cured of his leprosy. Elisha sends word to Naaman to go wash seven times in the River Jordan; Naaman does so and is cured; whereupon Naaman gives thanks to the LORD.
Then we hear Psalm 30, in which the psalmist, David by tradition, gives thanks to the LORD for bring lifted up and restored.
Ultimately we hear another Sunday School story, from Mark, about the leper who comes to Jesus begging for healing, is cured by word alone, and Jesus tells him to give thanks to the LORD. 
There is thanksgiving for healing in my own life. And my prayer this morning is that anyone who needs healing in any way -- mentally, emotionally, physically, spiritually -- may know the healing grace of the LORD, and rejoice and give thanks.
Remembering that even one more day of life and love may itself be healing and cause for thanksgiving. 


And every day is beautiful. 
TW+